Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,730   Online: 861

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How am I doing?

Shooter
    Holga
    Images

How am I doing?

So I just got my first roll back from the printer. I uploaded 5 pics today. 3 that I thought were decent and 2 to be honest and show my lack of experience. ANY and ALL input is welcomed. I don't remember the exposure and lens for all shots. Is this something I should write down, or will it come with shooting more film?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scan0006.jpg   scan0009.jpg   scan0010.jpg  
    -Chris

"I'd Really Rather You Didn't Use My Existence As A Means To Oppress, Subjugate, Punish, Eviscerate, And/Or, You Know, Be Mean To Others. I Don't Require Sacrifices, And Purity Is For Drinking Water, Not People."
    FSM

Shooter
    35mm
    I really like the composition of the church photo. It looks like a place you could go back to often with different weather conditions and such. I guess where you are they never have snow but I would really like to see a follow on image with some threatening clouds to make a matched pair with the one you have with a clear sky.

This third image makes me sad that we don't have those kind of valleys in the lower forty-eight where they arn't filled up with homes and such.

Denis

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The church and the landscape are great but I don't understand the middle image, dosen't really do anything for me.
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The church is my personal favourite. If I may observe, the right hand side could be burned in a little to tone it down. It is too eye catching at the moment an takes my attenion away from the church itself. Perhaps also it could be printed a bit harder to really make the spire glow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also like the church and the lanscape, the middle image is ok but not as good as the other two.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chris,
    I like the photo of the church.

Constructive insight: Photographs that have a clear subject or point of interest will hold a viewer's attention.

Try: One roll of film, find some objects that are smaller than a person and photograph them. Fill the frame with the object between 1/2 and 2/3. Use light at different angles. Have fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Chris,

1. Church - I find, time and again, how naked tree branches can add a lot to almost any composition. One would think it would clutter the frame, but it doesn't. For me, it makes me think about the subject matter, and let's just face it - those branches are beautiful by any stretch of the imagination.
    2. Building - I can't find anything to focus on. Sorry. I find it cluttered and much too busy. It's not clear what you're trying to show. Show me your intent.
    3. Landscape - it's a nicely weighted scene with nice geometrical proportions. Once again there are beautiful tree branches, as well as a nicely rendered spruce. The tone in the sky is inviting; there's enough luminance and radiance to it to be interesting. The distant horizon seals the envelope for me, as it helps my eye to travel through and wander in between the components in your composition. Nice job!

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    I like the church, classic. The second doesn't say much to me. The third, I like the composition, but would be better suited to my tastes if it had more exposure and you had used an orange or red filter to darken the sky.

In the two that I like (1&3), you have composed an entire composition, every part of the image gives weight to the composition . In the second there really isn't a composition that I discern. Doesn't really mean it isn't there, just that I don't see it.

Everything in photography is, however, subjective. What speaks or doesn't speak to me might not resonate with everybody, and nobody is "right". Keep shooting, please yourself, try different things, and enjoy the journey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The church image works well for me, much more successfully than 2 others. This neatly composed image has all the elements that make it an interesting photographand importantly, it is orthogonal — that is, no "falling steeples" from tilting the camera up, as so many so often blithely do.

If there are a couple of things that could be improved, it is looking around to excludee intrusions, such as the street lamp overlaying the trees. Plain sky is seldom successful in any photograph B&W or colour, so maybe re-visit the scene with clouds to add pattern to the blandness there. Mist/fog would work well with this subject, too. All that said, this image has so much working for it that these are only minor quibbles, but something to consider when you come across a scene of similar photogenic quality. Overall, it appeals to me a lot.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hey, Chris. I'm pretty much in line here. Number two simply does not resonate with me. There is no emphasis on a clear cut subject, nothing to mentally focus on. The focus seems fine, your camera orientation and framing with the pole is good. You have top down knowledge of the subject as your are familiar with its dimensions, its purpose and what is not in the photograph. We have bottom up knowledge which is starting with the two dimensional photograph before us of a wall with a sign and some windows and the imagination doesn't go much further than our memories of hundreds of other buildings we pass in our normal daily lives without giving a second notice unless we owe them money or something.

I would like to know why you chose to show it with the other two. What was the reason that prompted you to include it.

That being said, the church and the landscape are very pleasing to look at and have been composed well. I would love to see what YOU would do with these negs.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin