Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,280   Posts: 1,534,868   Online: 809

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Idiots!!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The stupidest (or perhaps funniest) I've seen are the fake Polaroids - fake Type 55's and the dreaded Polardroid.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    It seems to me that this "make it like film" nonsense very often starts at the point when the photograph is taken and an electronic noise attempts to replicate the noise made by the focal plane shutter and mirror clatter of a good old fashioned analogue SLR.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Something I've seen on newsmagazine shows here in the US like Dateline NBC. When they want to portray something as having happened in the past using "re-enactment", or older actual videotape of something, they like to overlay it to make it look like scratchy, spotty, really dirty, film camera footage. That drives me nuts. It just accentuates the "infotainment" aspect and degrades any sense of serious journalism. One guy on Dateline, Keith Morrison, uses tone of voice to imply who the dishonest/guilty/lying/etc. party is. Very scummy.

When my television died last year I didn't replace it. I'm better off without the dreck and drivel on TV these days. If there's something truly newsworthy, I can watch it online, anyway.
    The artificial "scratchiness" on old or simulated old film is one of my annoyances too......real scratchiness or damage to old film or photos is a FAULT of later handling, when you see a properly restored old film or photo it's amazing how good the oldtime photographers and film-makers were.

(I agree on your TV comment as well, my set is 18 years old and watched less than an hour in a typical week....too many other interests and hobbies...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh, I thought you were going to talk about digital B&W prints. The surface gloss differential is enough to drive me batty.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm with those who are mildly amused when seeing lazy digital simulation work -- whether of film negative edges or Poladroids or ersatz vintage-1890 photos or whatever. There's always been plenty of lazy, bad work, professional or otherwise, done with analogue photography going right back to the beginning. I guess, overall, I'm just very disappointed with how computers are used to produce imagery, photographic or otherwise. How many times have I read "Absolutely ANYTHING can be done now by bringing together computers and photography". Surely this is true, but mostly one sees clunky photo collage. Two areas of "digital art" that are growing all the time, which I loathe above all: "surrealist" photo collage and trying to make a photo look like a painting. Occasionally done with some skill but morphing a nude female figure into a teapot with a Mondrian bowler hat hovering overhead makes mockery of the whole thing (it's usually something like that), and Photoshop layering of luminosity curves and saturation curves and adding a craquelure layer does not make a photo look anything like a painting, at least not to those who have seen some real paintings and admire good painting. The only really skilled digital photo collage and post-processing work I've seen has been in high-end global advertising. Some of the top global ad agencies have people with both the skills and the eye to bring it off. The best digital photo collage I've seen was a print ad campaign for DIESEL. The thing is that the basic talents and skills -- drawing, painting, composition and design, colour understanding, and just plain getting good visual ideas -- are just as important as they've always been. The computer can be a great tool in the creative process but can't substitute for the basic skills.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Videbaek View Post
    morphing a nude female figure into a teapot with a Mondrian bowler hat hovering overhead
    Magritte?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    The artificial "scratchiness" on old or simulated old film is one of my annoyances too......real scratchiness or damage to old film or photos is a FAULT of later handling, when you see a properly restored old film or photo it's amazing how good the oldtime photographers and film-makers were.

I've had experience with two motion picture labs undertaking the "aging" of film. One, in Australia, just tossed it on the floor and then ran it past a scratching device.

The other, in New Zealand, contrived to shrink the emulsion chemically, damaged sprocket holes so that the image jumped about in the frame, made visibly bad in frame splices, and a few other tricks as well.

Guess who works for Weta, Wingnut and Peter Jackson? And knows his medium and craft? And has shot wet collodion? And is a Kiwi?

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Once I have shown beautiful Lith print on Foma MG paper to colleague at work - and he told me "I can do this in PS, even better". I replied: make a print and bring it ... still waiting for print

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Clunk click....every trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    It seems to me that this "make it like film" nonsense very often starts at the point when the photograph is taken and an electronic noise attempts to replicate the noise made by the focal plane shutter and mirror clatter of a good old fashioned analogue SLR.
    That one cracks me up too hehehehe
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    I replied: make a print and bring it ... still waiting for print
    That seems to be the norm with photography. Someone claims "I can do this that and the other"... but when you ask to see prints somehow they never have any...
    Last edited by Shawn Dougherty; 03-23-2010 at 04:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin