Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,815   Posts: 1,581,621   Online: 753

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Idiots!!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Idiots!!!

Something that is a pet hate of mine is when digital photographers try to make their images replicate traditional techniques and fail, over the years ive seen stupid things like "digital cyanotype"....errr no thats a blue inkjet!
    I see minilab prints with full bleed from colour images but the bleed is always pure black and always identical frame to frame...its a shitty template Ive seen shop windows with pictures showing film rebate which makes no sense for the format that has been shot. and this morning on the news there was a segment about Hollywood and the image that came across the screen was a film strip with colour images but the digital retoucher had TMY rebate.... I feel like screaming when i see it. People should do some homework before trying to replicate traditional photographic looks. Its as bad as watching a movie set in the 1700's and seeing an extra in it wearing sun glasses or a wrist watch.Who else here gets frustrated by these things? whats the worst you have seen? and did u say or do anything about it? I see the handy work of these idiots every day.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I once saw a slide film simulation where the frame number replaced the sprocket hole...
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Something I've seen on newsmagazine shows here in the US like Dateline NBC. When they want to portray something as having happened in the past using "re-enactment", or older actual videotape of something, they like to overlay it to make it look like scratchy, spotty, really dirty, film camera footage. That drives me nuts. It just accentuates the "infotainment" aspect and degrades any sense of serious journalism. One guy on Dateline, Keith Morrison, uses tone of voice to imply who the dishonest/guilty/lying/etc. party is. Very scummy.

When my television died last year I didn't replace it. I'm better off without the dreck and drivel on TV these days. If there's something truly newsworthy, I can watch it online, anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm with you there - my favorite is when they photoshop in a rebate and leave the EXIF data showing it was shot with a dslr. Or that time an oversaturated colour image had an ACROS rebate...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I used to be disgusted but now I'm just amused. I'm not laughing with the idiots, I'm laughing at them. Life is too short to waste anxiety over idiocy.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The other day a "professional master photographer" handed me his business card. It had a film strip of color images across the background, complete with a Tri-X film strip rebate. I couldn't help it, I looked at him then started laughing. I wish I wouldn't have given him the card back.. so I could scan it and post it here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I gotta giggle when somebody uses an HP5 35mm template for color shots.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It doesn't bother me at all. I consider it a tribute to the medium of film. It must seem to these folks that it makes their work seem more classically photographic, or maybe just more serious. Anyway, film photographers for years have used darkroom techniques and manipulations to present their work in a certain way. So I'm kind of live and let live about it. I can't go around telling artists how they should make art.

Anyway, it's better than HDR color work, which hurts my eyes and I'm sure damages my brain.

-Laura

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It doesn't bother me any more than giving me a slight chuckle, but the one thing that comes to mind was flicking through a men's fashion magazine a few months back. There was a series of about 8 images that still had all their 120 edge markings left around them, only they were all the same frame number. Either the photographer had incredible luck with frame number 7, or he/the editor is just really lazy.

For me it's just like spotting spelling mistakes in a publication. It's nothing more than amusing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree, especially when it's for a news story. I feel if they doctor the images up with fake rebates, what else have they changed or distorted in the images. If I find lots of spelling or grammar errors I can't help but wonder how many factual errors also slipped by.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin