Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,417   Online: 1017

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ian, you don't think there is extra contrast at midday? At least around here, noon light is typically very hard and direct, with little sideways scatter, so the shadows are very deep e.g. around trees or buildings. For pinhole I like the hard contrasty edges (and I am well aware that some do not like that). Having an extra stop or two of light is nice too, when the effective aperture is f/250 or so...

~~~

Anyway, what makes light interesting in general? It is up to the photographer to find the interest. We are supposed to see things that others do not, that's what makes us photographers. And I think I have found a fair bit of interest in hard, noon light. There is a lot of sunrise/sunset stuff out there; I think the O.P. is to be commended for seeking ways to work with light that many would reject outright, simply because they cannot think creatively or they want to take a 'pretty' photograph that everyone has seen before.

People simply have to try and see what works for them.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First - I use the same film mid-day, morning, evening, and night. It matters more how you use it than what you use.
    During mid-day my negs turn out with too much contrast if I expose normally. So I overexpose the film, as in any high contrast situation, and use gentle agitation and shorter development times to get perfect negatives. If I don't do this I lose some shadow detail and end up having to compensate in printing by using softer filtration, something I don't like to do.

I am in Keith's camp - shooting pinhole mid-day works very well. I particularly like to point the camera directly into the sun.

- Thomas
    Last edited by Thomas Bertilsson; 07-16-2010 at 04:21 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Ian, you don't think there is extra contrast at midday? At least around here, noon light is typically very hard and direct, with little sideways scatter, so the shadows are very deep e.g. around trees or buildings. For pinhole I like the hard contrasty edges (and I am well aware that some do not like that). Having an extra stop or two of light is nice too, when the effective aperture is f/250 or so...
    From recent experiences no, I made a point of checking with my spotmeter because I was quite surprised at first. In theory the closer to the equator the harsher the shadows at midday, but other factors seem to come into play.

These are "open" shadows which aren't deep because "there's so much light that the sky acts like a giant fill in diffuser". I guess a lot depends on what & where you are photographing, wide open places are no problem.

I do use N-2 development, but have never needed to yet here in the midday sun in Turkey

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    It's only up the road, I have been known to walk there, tkaes about 2½ hours

Not in this weather though 39°C is a bit too hot All the weeds I photographed in March are long dead . . . . . . . .

I have shot colour there as well but it's for a publication and an off topic media :rolleyes:

Ian
    Roman? Greek? It looks English!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I live in Australia, I did a little experimen with my d*l SLR and a long lens with spot metering. I found at mid day, the highest contrast range I could find was 6 stops, between the sky, and an open faced parking garage under a high a rise building (which was the deepest shadow I could find at the time).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1. Subjects that you want to render in the light that will be present, in order to best express your concept.
    2. A film, exposure, and development combination that you know how to manipulate well to serve the needs of your desires coupled with the enlarging paper you will use to print the pix.

Then again, that's a pretty good formula to follow every photo, assuming you have the "luxuries" of forethought and preparation.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 07-16-2010 at 06:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    I live in Australia, I did a little experimen with my d*l SLR and a long lens with spot metering. I found at mid day, the highest contrast range I could find was 6 stops, between the sky, and an open faced parking garage under a high a rise building (which was the deepest shadow I could find at the time).
    Well most of the sky here in Turkey is a deep blue, Zone V The contrast is very much higher now in the sunlight at 7:55 am, the shadows are deeper. I'd measure it but my Spotmeter disappeared off to the South

2F/2F's right if you have your film speed and developer combination right you can cope with many situations just making adjustments for extremes of lighting.

Where contrast does tend to be an issue is when you photograph in areas of deep shadow, sheltered from the fill in effects of the sky, but with patches of sunlight. But out in the open landscape contrast in bright sunlight's rarely an issue whether it's midday or dawn to dusk.

This is midday sun in the UK at the end of April, before Stoo, Mark & I adjourned for a bit of lunch & a pint.

Mark Burley & I had been discussing where to place the shadow details, he'd have given a stop more exposure, but I assured him that it wasn't necessary

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really enjoy the characteristics of Tri-X so I usually shoot that all the time no matter what the light. It looks great through most if not all of the situations I have been into with it...You could try Plus-X if you are looking to go slower...
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've got GP3 which I love, a brick of Pan F+, FP4+ (love it), Tri-X, and T-Max 400 atm, and even more on the colour side.

Did some playing around today around mid day, with a polariser and fresh Ektacolor Pro 160.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I do use N-2 development, but have never needed to yet here in the midday sun in Turkey

Ian
    I guess you have a lot of humidity and hence atmospheric scatter and lots of fill.... ?

I do need to visit Turkey, it seems a wonderful place for landscape and architecture and general ethnography.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin