Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,811   Posts: 1,581,548   Online: 942

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think you are right: the understanding of what art is, but much more even the way it functioned in society has changed a lot since then.

But even then noone would have told someone that he could not be an artist (whatever that meant then) because of themedium he or she used.

Think of it as of a pen: people use it to write shopping lists. People also use it to write literature.
    It's not the medium. It's how, and to what end, you make use of it.

Photography is a form of art. Not all of photography is. But definitely some of it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good QG I'm glad we agree at last
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just to play devils advocate, the tools follow the art, not vice-versa. Some of the most competent and knowledgeable photographers I know are also some of the most shallow creatively. At the same time I've known some artists who are painfully (to me) ignorant of technical photographic knowledge but have brilliant "eyes" and minds and work with a conceptual complexity that wasn't learned but just possessed. And I hate them. Also, art doesn't care what society thinks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Kidwell View Post
    Also, art doesn't care what society thinks.
    You are thinking about art as a pursuit of beautiful thingies?

Art, back then and certainly now, does care what society thinks.
    It's part of the thinking society.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin