Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,914   Posts: 1,521,758   Online: 1056

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Being involved in the music business I see this conflict a lot. Musicians want to write and perform certain types of music and the public wants to hear something different. Some work is to please your artistic sensibilities and other work has to please the public IF there is a financial interest. If you want to make a living at your artistic work you may have to do both. If money is not a factor then you can do exactly as YOU please.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Yes seriously.

Why in the world would I (or you) want to modify my (or your) artistic vision?

All I can think of is money or ego.
    I don't think it's a matter of modifying your artistic vision. Those with artistic vision will simply refine it over time. And those without artistic vision won't gain it by following some critic or formula.

To me, at its core, photography is a communicative act. I wouldn't do it otherwise.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's more about tightening up and honing that vision with the feedback you get with a critique session, maybe expanding it as well. A good workshop critique session should also be a two way thing, with the photographer sharing his thoughts and possible areas concern etc.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I've been struggling with it for years

It's almost like an aspiring writer trying to master grammar and poetic structure then masters both. But the toughest part is to fine one's own voice and offering something to the world that is completely original and one's own. What I've learned so far is do work just for the joy of it, not for money nor fame. Also, don't let critics derail you from your path of self discovery through one's art. I also find reading about artist's lives and looking and their work to find that thread sheds some light on the process. As an artist I don't think this path will ever end, but enjoy the journey.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "one's own voice and offering something to the world that is completely original and one's own."

What if people, most of the time, don't listen to you?

Should art be a mirror to what is happening in the world?

Suggest viewing the movie, "Smash His Camera!" It shows different opinions from people who think they know art. Do they know art? Is his photography "snaps"? Or is there more to the photographs?

Here is a page where you can view articles on the movie:

http://www.bing.com/news/search?q=Sm...ash+His+Camera

Does art become more arty after the artist dies?

Interesting, don't you think?
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Tough definition of "art"

Quote Originally Posted by wclark5179 View Post
    "one's own voice and offering something to the world that is completely original and one's own."

What if people, most of the time, don't listen to you?

Should art be a mirror to what is happening in the world?

Suggest viewing the movie, "Smash His Camera!" It shows different opinions from people who think they know art. Do they know art? Is his photography "snaps"? Or is there more to the photographs?

Here is a page where you can view articles on the movie:

http://www.bing.com/news/search?q=Sm...ash+His+Camera

Does art become more arty after the artist dies?

Interesting, don't you think?
    Nobody listened Vincent Van Gough when he was a live. He never sold a painting nor his brother the art dealer, Theo. How his Van Gough's art is now revered all over the world.

As for art mirroring the world, do you mean make one's art as everybody sees the world? I'd rather see art of other worlds. The internal worlds of artist. The most interesting art to me portrays a reality not apparent to ordinary conciseness. Do you want to be feed a diet of art that is created by and for people the psychopathology of the ordinary?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "do you mean make one's art as everybody sees the world?"

Sorry, no I don't mean that. I make art as I see the world. However, in my case, I need to make photographs, perhaps it isn't art to some but it is to those that hire me. They see how I view the world is how they want their story told be it an individual portrait, family or event photographs like a wedding. Not everyone sees the world as I do but some do and some of those choose my services.

Another article to check out is written by a Mr. Fritz Liedkte in the LensWork Issue #89, the July August edition, pages 48-51.

Have a wonderful weekend.
    Last edited by wclark5179; 07-30-2010 at 01:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Leake View Post
    All artists evolve over time as they discover new things, and as they absorb new influences.
    My point isn't about evolving or not, we all change over time, it's simply about having a bit of focus on expressing a specific thought for a specific audience.

If I am the audience I am free to do what ever I like, if I add other people to the audience my motivations for the work changes.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    To me, at its core, photography is a communicative act. I wouldn't do it otherwise.
    Absolutely.

The question for me is "to what audience?"

What I'm trying to say here is that what I want to tell (express to) "myself", "my wife", "my friends", my community" or "the world" are each different.

My relationship to the audience defines what I want to do.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This is an interesting topic as unlike any other art form, photography is really just making a representation of something which already exists. i.e. the subject in front of the lens.

Whilst this is also often the case of painting, sculpture, etc, it doesn't have to be. It could just be in the mind of the artist. With photography there has to be a subject which has to actually exist.

Steve.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin