Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,706   Posts: 1,548,494   Online: 1017

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    With photography there has to be a subject which has to actually exist.

Steve.
    http://www.uelsmann.com/

Is the subject the input or the output?
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Is the subject the input or the output?
    They are very good and expertly done but there were actual subjects used. Not sure about the input/output bit though.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Although the individual parts Uelsmann uses are rooted in reality, they never existed together.

For me the inspiration for art is rooted in the output I intend, not the input available.

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seems I'm two months late, but I'll share my thoughts anyway...

My desire to show my vision has driven my gaining knowledge of the technical side of things. My own self, my art if you will, is the driving force behind what I do and the gear is the furthest thing from my mind. I see gear as a means to achieve what I set out to do in the first place and sometimes it takes a certain one piece of gear to accomplish that, but that just doesn't consume me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why are people so obsessed about their "Vision" making "Art", and not content with with making good pictures ?.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For me, I am trying to learn to see beyond the "snapshot" vision. To develop my artistic vision, if I have any. I think it may depend on what your goal is???? My goal is to see and capture the things views etc. that make people stop and see rather than just look.
    But that is my goal...
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Why are people so obsessed about their "Vision" making "Art", and not content with with making good pictures ?.
    Why limit our creative thought to content?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Why limit our creative thought to content?
    Why not convince themselves as soon as they have some basic understanding of how to use the tools and techniques of the craft that they have to be " true to their vision" and refer to their work and other photographers as "Art", I don't believe that photography is an art this idea is a relatively recent concept in the last thirty years or so promoted by photographers agents, gallery s and auction houses to sell photographers work.
    There are and have been indeed some wonderful photographers in the past and present who I greatly admire, but as craftsmen who are masters of their craft, if you had called them artists to their face they would have laughed at you .
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quite possibly.

But you are in danger of that happening to you too when you suggest that you can decide that something is or is not a form of art based solely on the medium.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    Quite possibly.

But you are in danger of that happening to you too when you suggest that you can decide that something is or is not a form of art based solely on the medium.
    I doubt if the great renaissance painters considered themselves " Artists" in the modern sense of the word with a capital "A" but rather on the same level as a master stonemason, as a very skilled artisan, however I do believe that some great photography can approach "Art" but on rare occasions, and very few of them, by no means as many as those who write about their, and other photographers art on internet forums .
    Ben

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin