Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,776   Online: 1001

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    If 'special' can also mean unorthodox or unusual, then within the niche area of film photography there's a small niche of darkroom printers and within that small niche there's a tiny niche of people who print in colour. Doing that is what raises people's eyebrows when I tell them. Artistically, I don't think I'm carving out a particular speciality.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    My work isn't special. I post much of it on flickr and am lucky if two people look at each picture. I don't have vision or style that is unique. I have no audience. There is simply no reason for anyone to spend time checking it out given the volume of great work out there. It would be nice to say I expect to improve over time but I simply know that isn't the case.

I've grown to be okay with it all; my work is just part of the din of images out there.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Anyone who photographs believes their work is special or else they would not photograph. The true photographer photographs for themselves without considering a viewer (non-commercial, commissional, etc related aspect). Consideration of what makes you special is wondering what makes you special to others, in relation to others. You are then considering what am I worth or what is my work worth to others. This only beings the path down the road to shooting to please and appeal to others, instead of yourself, the person for whom you picked up photography in the first place.

Nikanon

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Legge View Post

I've grown to be okay with it all; my work is just part of the din of images out there.

Deutsche Industrial Norm?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Two quotes that may shed some light, but maybe not, I dunno:

Ezra Pound: "Make it new!" (boy that's hard)

Gary Winogrand: "We know too much about how pictures look and should look. And how do you get around making those pictures again and again?" (that quote is pinned onto the door of my camera storage cupboard, just to irk me when I'm about to pack to try to find out)

No more difficult questions, please.

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One of my favourites is the answer Robert Adams gives to the question why people photograph: "to keep in tact an affection for life". For me it's as much about the search for meaning, insights, beauty etc. that goes along with being a curious human being. Others paint, write, sing, play, meditate etc. Special would be when someone else generates their own affection about life when they look at one of my pictures. It's not just up to me to say!
    http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/index.html
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Would you need to have film in your cameras to achieve your goal?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    It would be interesting, fun too, if pictures posted in the Galleries would be accompanied, not by the uninteresting technical details (who really cares about what f-stop was used???), but by a motivation, an explanation of why the particular picture was made to begin with, why it was made to look the way it does, and why any viewer might/should care about it and not just ignore it.
    Great idea and I hope it is implemented.

I don't care to think of myself and my photography as being special or unique - it's not what I strive for, it's not the reason I do what I do. All I can do is shoot with passion and hope it comes across to another viewer. If not, then at least make it so it comes through for me. Not too many people have seen my photography though, so I guess I just rely on whether or not the process is therapeutic/enjoyable for me. So far, so good.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mooseontheloose View Post
    Absolutely nothing. But I enjoy it and for the most part it makes me happy (except for those few times when I review my negs and wonder why I ever bothered to pick up a camera in the first place).
    Me too...!

(except mine are all B+W positives, but the sentiment is the same)

Cheers,
    Gavin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Try to explain the urge to breathe and the urge to eat. Urges are what drives us. Photography remains as natural as getting out of bed to me. I just do it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin