Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,183   Online: 1063

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    My work is not special, unless you're talking about special ed. haha.

The only beauty in my work is, I do what i want and I'm not trying to impress nobody. No matter what anyone thinks about my work, I'm still going to do it the way I want. I'm not taking a photo for you.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mick8585 View Post
    Try to explain the urge to breathe and the urge to eat. Urges are what drives us.
    That's extremely easy: 'hard-wired' survival.

But it's not that easy when it comes to why photography, and why that picture, done that way.

Quote Originally Posted by mick8585 View Post
    Photography remains as natural as getting out of bed to me. I just do it.
    At what time? Why that time? Do you sometimes like to lie-in? Why so? Etc.

Shooter
    35mm
    To be honest, I don't have an answer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Why

Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    That's what i ask myself every time i even think about picking up a camera.
    It's what i ask about all those millions of pictures created every day. Why would they need to be? Why would i have to look at them?
    The answer all too often is that there is no reason. Just more of the tired old same.

In fact, it has become a bit of a long running project of mine to try to figure out why people feel the urge to add yet more to the already too many.
    It's not just photography, but applies equally to every 'creative' field.

And the answer is not in the 'products' of creativity. It's the urge. The photographs (and music, books, etc.) have to be made, because people feel an urge to do so. After that, they would better be burned, stored away where they will never be seen, etc. The last thing to do is bother other people with them.

It would be interesting, fun too, if pictures posted in the Galleries would be accompanied, not by the uninteresting technical details (who really cares about what f-stop was used???), but by a motivation, an explanation of why the particular picture was made to begin with, why it was made to look the way it does, and why any viewer might/should care about it and not just ignore it.
    Bingo!thats what I'v been working on the last 40yrs,getting closer to this type of thinking from the last workshop that I had with Per Volqartz,hopefully I'll find an answer and a cure!!

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I enjoy the process of using a camera, deciding which film to use.
    Selecting the lens, and a filter if necessary. Choosing which lightmeter to use.
    Contemplating the photograph, and ideal exposure. The aggravation of loading
    reels in a changing bag. The thrill of using chemicals that I am allergic to.
    The excitement of seeing the results. The Disappointment. Rinsing. Repeating.

Never had so much fun with digital photography. None Whatsoever.
    Only The Disappointment ...

Analog Photography Is Einmaligkeit.

That's Special !

Ron

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I think it is up to the person admiring an image or buying it, to determine what is special about it, or the artist. I am fairly critical of my work but I've sold prints of photographs that I thought were just ok but people enjoyed them more than I did. In my opinion, if I start analyzing what makes ME special, I will probably just be concerning myself with something I have no control over, and in turn impairing creativity. Just my 2c.

Q.G. has a very interesting and correct point in his last paragraph. I frankly am getting more tired of people asking what camera I use or film, ISO, developers, etc, and that's why I chose not to put a single caption about it on pictures in my new website, although many have asked. As far as explaining why a picture was made the way it was, and why should someone care and not ignore it...well, I frankly don't think it would make a difference. Samuel Goldwin once said.."if you have a message, send a telegram". It is up to the viewer, in my opinion, to discover what is interesting about an image, or finding a meaning (if there is any at all), or interpret, appreciate a certain look, as this is all very subjective. I look at Bresson or Gibson's work all the time and I don't need them to explain anything. If I am enjoying what I am looking at, and find what I (myself) is interesting in an image, it is good enough for me.
    One line from one of Bresson's rare interviews is always stuck in my head...Question: "why do you take pictures?" Answer: "because it's faster than drawing". None of these guys ever seemed concern with having a "message" or being overly critical of their own work, or finding meanings that didn't exist in their images. It is us, the viewers, who put them on a pedestal and created the legends.

As far as "the urge" Q.G. is talking about...well, it is true but on the other hand, nobody is bothering anyone. If you don't like the music, don't buy it. If you don't like an image, pass. It's not like anyone is imposing on others to look, buy, or critique worthless images.

best,

Max

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    As far as "the urge" Q.G. is talking about...well, it is true but on the other hand, nobody is bothering anyone. If you don't like the music, don't buy it. If you don't like an image, pass. It's not like anyone is imposing on others to look, buy, or critique worthless images.
    That's not quite true, is it?
    Trying to avoid 'the constant stream' is a full time job. Why, just come to Apug and you're greeted by a 'picture of the day'.

It's just like a bad sense of humor: you can't read any of the threads here without coming across the 'usual suspects' spouting their nonsense, doing their best to turn anything into a display of their urges.

Impossible to avoid...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    It's just like a bad sense of humor: you can't read any of the threads here without coming across the 'usual suspects' spouting their nonsense, doing their best to turn anything into a display of their urges.
    Though some people do like to toot their own horns here, it's really not that bad. I almost never see people attaching their photos to random threads. It's a lot worse on photo.net, however. Or perhaps you meant something else when you said "a display of their urges"?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, yes and no.
    In this case, the urge that is extremely difficult to avoid running into isn't a photographic one. (Just like my point about urges wasn't restricted to photographic ones).
    You're absolutely right about the willy-nilly posting of photos. Very 'restrained' behaviour here, much worse in other places.

It generally is very hard to avoid the incessant stream of 'creations' without becoming a recluse, locking yourself up in a cell without any contact with the world outside. And i don't believe we would or should want to.
    Yet, keeping ourselves 'open' to whatever our fellow human beings do and produce, i (at least) can't help noticing that the vast majority of 'creative products' aren't worth the time it takes to even acknowledge they exist (and that includes my own). They may be important, as a 'release of creative tension', the giving in to an urge, an itch you have to scratch. But that doesn't necessarily make them worth anything to anyone else. And only very few are.
    But still, Max, they are almost all 'thrust upon us'.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find some of the most vocal people here have the least photographically to show for it.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin