Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,348   Online: 757

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    I find some of the most vocal people here have the least photographically to show for it.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
    Amen.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    I find some of the most vocal people here have the least photographically to show for it.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
    They will have the least problem answering the OP's question.

Speaking of which, why, would you say, should anyone look at your images?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    Well, yes and no.
    In this case, the urge that is extremely difficult to avoid running into isn't a photographic one. (Just like my point about urges wasn't restricted to photographic ones).
    You're absolutely right about the willy-nilly posting of photos. Very 'restrained' behaviour here, much worse in other places.

It generally is very hard to avoid the incessant stream of 'creations' without becoming a recluse, locking yourself up in a cell without any contact with the world outside. And i don't believe we would or should want to.
    Yet, keeping ourselves 'open' to whatever our fellow human beings do and produce, i (at least) can't help noticing that the vast majority of 'creative products' aren't worth the time it takes to even acknowledge they exist (and that includes my own). They may be important, as a 'release of creative tension', the giving in to an urge, an itch you have to scratch. But that doesn't necessarily make them worth anything to anyone else. And only very few are.
    But still, Max, they are almost all 'thrust upon us'.
    Q.G. , yes, I do agree with your feelings but that's the beauty of the internet. Lots is "thrust upon us" and the only way to avoid it is to either disconnect or limit the places/people one is in contact with. You know..ignore buttons, visiting APUG once a week instead of 50 times per day, etc. Lots of garbage out there and there is no doubt about that but, if I don't feel like looking at it/reading about it, I just don't click on galleries, links, flickr, etc. Hey, I'm sick of bad news..I go on CNN once every 2-3 days..when I'm on vacation..I leave my iPhone home. There are steps we can take to limit the barrage of crap of all sorts that we are thrown at every day. And, yes, we can also limit the amount of garbage we all put out there...then again, someone's garbage may be someone else's gold

Best,

Max

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are a member of a photography website.
    Should should expect to see a few photographs.
    They might not all be to our liking, but I don't see
    a need to criticize anyone photographs. Unless
    someone specifically requested a critique.
    And I am sure that there are members better
    qualified to that task, than myself.

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Special? Me? ...nothing :-(

I just like to take pictures and play with the technology. I'm really supprised this thread has gone on this long without getting "fussy". I guess it's one of the reasons this is the only site I actually pay for.

I hope everybody else gets at least as much enjoyment from the hobby as I do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got to ride on the short bus...

...and as a result, I can do this: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ZhNb1wsTUX...s400/spock.jpg.

(I had to wedge the window sill of the short bus between my fingers to train myself how to do it. I did one hand on the way to school and the other on the way home. )
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Whats so special about what your doing in photography?" - For anyone else looking at my photographs...absolutely nothing.

For me, my photography is special because it is hard evidence that at least some of those visions in my head are real, and secondly, it is the best explanation I can give my wife for the need to lean just a little bit farther over the edge.

Thanks,
    Craig

Shooter
    Large Format
    my own peculiar way of making carbon prints,my unique way i use albumen on my vandykes,my home made 10x8 cameras, my very abused 1925 voightlander 180mm lens ,my homemade pinhole cameras, just to mention a few.

everything i point my camera at is not unique to me, i express myself in the darkroom, or not so dark room these days

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm special because I have a large....lens
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The thing which makes my photos extremely special is that most of them are pictures of my kids. And since my kids are the best kids in the world (every parent thinks that, but I know it ), these pictures will remain special to me and my immediate family.

PS: I wholeheartedly agree with Ron about criticism of other folk's pics. It may sound very intellectual to complain about the "huge steaming garbage pile of pictures" being imposed on us every day. It may be pleasant for some here to step on a soap box once in a while and scream "YOU'RE ALL PATHETIC DIMWITS" into the general audience, but I'm not sure why APUG should be a platform for this. Most of these pics, especially here on APUG, are the result of careful consideration and elaborate work, and while some or most of these pics may or may not touch a nerve inside you or me, they are still far beyond ordinary random snap shots. Summarily dismissing them as garbage shows ignorance, not aesthetic wisdom.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin