Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,424   Online: 948

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Your "Boom: there it is!" moment

Hi all,

Watching this Paul Caponigro video, I heard Paul saying he likes surprises and has these "Boom: there it is!" moments that tell him instantly of the thing or moment worth photographing.

I think we all recognize this feeling... it doesn't happen all the time, but I do feel that with increasing photographic experience, I more often happen on these special moments, or just have become far more sensitive to them... Still, sometimes, you really have to search for the photos, and may come back empty handed. And at other times, you just "know" instantly you have a little gem on your hands.

I would like to share two of such personal "gems" with you here. Not necessarily the "best" photos I may have made, but photos of which I clearly remember the instant feeling of "I need to hit the release button now!" or "This is it!, what I have been looking for..."

The first photograph is of the "helicopter and girl". This was taken during some fun flights for a soccer club. I had been walking around while the helicopter prepared for taking off. I saw this young girl standing next to a landing mark, and when the helicopter started to fire up the engine and take off, and it attracted her attention and she turned her head towards it, all elements came together and I just knew I had to hit the release button. Just one neg!, no continuous transport mode, but perfect to my feeling:

The second photo was taken on a night out shooting in the centre of Haarlem. I actually was on the way back home, when I cycled on the opposite side of the canal, and turned my head towards this old 17th century warehouse. I just instantly knew "that is some wonderful light and will make a great photo!"

Again, I am not saying these are necessarily the "best" photos I made, but photos I clearly remember the moment of "discovery"...

What was your "Boom: there it is!" moment? Share it here in the thread including a photo if you can!

Marco
    Last edited by Marco B; 09-28-2010 at 08:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have quite a few of these moments.... unfortunately they usually happen when I dont have a camera with me!

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I have quite a few of these moments.... unfortunately they usually happen when I don't have a camera with me!

Steve.
    I know what you mean... maybe I should rephrase my question to the "'Boom: there it is' moments you actually managed to capture on film..."
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love getting that feeling. I get it the most when I do night photography; one of my rules I follow when going out on a photo journey is to always look behind me. I have found many fascinating scenes by just doing that.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin