Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,950   Posts: 1,585,958   Online: 920

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    I try to compose for full frame printing, with both 35mm and 120 6/60r 645, and 9 times out of ten iit works, but there are always times when you can't make it work, especialy if like me you use a lot of fixed lens cameras, such as Rollei tlrs etc,Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Ditto, but with 135, 120 in 6x6 and 4"x5".

Steve
    The three formats give me choices of height-width and grain size.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    i am not afraid to crop and i am not afraid to compose and
    print a full frame .. it depends on the image and the format.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In general I compose to the full frame, and print the same. But that said, if I'm messing around in the darkroom and notice that my original square looks better cropped to a rectangle, it happens. I shoot several different aspect ratios as I swap cameras and don't seem to have much difficulty "maximizing my use of real estate."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have no problem with cropping in the darkroom, although I will admit to an irrational sense of satisfaction when the best choice for a negative is a full frame print.

When I expose the film, I will generally try to fill the frame with my subject, but if faced with a subject that appears strong in a number of different ways, I'll try shooting them in all those ways, and/or shoot with enough room to permit making a cropping choice later.

I think it important to remember that when we look through a viewfinder or at a ground glass, the image we perceive is affected by the frame around it that the camera provides. That frame may or may not affect us in the same way as the frame provided by the choice we make in respect of the final presentation of the print or slide. As an example, a subject that appears one way when viewed through the viewfinder's "tunnel" may appear different in a matted print.

I expect as well that at least part of my desire to compose so as to avoid having to crop comes from early experience trying to print 35mm negatives with obvious grain and mediocre sharpness. If I had started with an RB67 and properly exposed, perfectly developed low speed negatives, I would probably be sloppier than I am now .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm the opposite. I almost always leave some room around the edges for trimming. Except with 35mm, because there isn't enough negative to spare.
    f/22 and be there.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I try to compose to have the image I want cover as much of the frame as I can get it to cover because I am still not used to making my own prints. But then I only end up having to crop for format mostly, and rarely for image, now and then I do crop for image though.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I tend to compose within the viewfinder, and not crop. Once in a while, I'll take a little out, just to make the composition. As mentioned earlier in the thread, if I crop too much... well, then, it feels [and looks] like a cropped image.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've always felt cropping in the darkroom meant poor vision in the field. If the image on the GG isn't what I want the viewer to see then I need to either take a step or two forward, take a step or two backward, change lenses or change formats.

YMMV
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I look in one direction instead of another... I am cropping.
    When I look at one thing instead of another... I am cropping.
    When I choose a camera format to shoot... I am cropping.
    When I choose a lens to put on the camera... I am cropping.
    When I point the camera at the part of the scene I chose... I am cropping.
    When I look though the viewfinder or at the groundglass... I am cropping.
    When I move the camera around, looking at the scene through the viewfinder... I am cropping.
    When I move one step to the right, left, forward, or back... I am cropping.
    When I zoom the lens in or out...I am cropping.
    When I turn the camera either horizontal or vertical... I am cropping.
    When I project the negative onto a print easel... I am cropping.
    When I adjust the blades of the easel... I am cropping.

I make MY OWN PHOTOGRAPHS and I can and will crop whenever, wherever, and however I damned well please!
    Please feel free to do the same with your photographs.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin