Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,209   Online: 846

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Tend to crop as little as possible, as I don't like to lose the resolution. Less of a problem on 6x7 of course, but I still don't like to.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I leave room to crop. Some need to have the extra room if they are purchasing a print that requires cropping. If I didn't provide room to crop then, sometimes, important pieces would be lost. Then I'd have to use content aware scale in PS to please the client.
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I do whatever I need to do. If that means cropping, so be it. Cropping is just another alternative.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Is full frame composing and printing laziness
    Yes, or at least for me. I try to get everything as close as I can--framing, exposure, etc.--"in camera" to reduce the amount of work I have to do later. That said, "cropping" and "framing" are just two words for the same action--deciding what goes in, and what does not. All that matters to the viewer is the final image.

I do realize that there are some practical differences--if you are shooting some object, you have to decide, for instance, what angle of view before you press the shutter. You can't decide in the darkroom that you'd rather have it from the back. Even Photoshop isn't that good yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    When I look in one direction instead of another... I am cropping.
    When I look at one thing instead of another... I am cropping.
    When I choose a camera format to shoot... I am cropping.
    When I choose a lens to put on the camera... I am cropping.
    When I point the camera at the part of the scene I chose... I am cropping.
    When I look though the viewfinder or at the groundglass... I am cropping.
    When I move the camera around, looking at the scene through the viewfinder... I am cropping.
    When I move one step to the right, left, forward, or back... I am cropping.
    When I zoom the lens in or out...I am cropping.
    When I turn the camera either horizontal or vertical... I am cropping.
    When I project the negative onto a print easel... I am cropping.
    When I adjust the blades of the easel... I am cropping.

I make MY OWN PHOTOGRAPHS and I can and will crop whenever, wherever, and however I damned well please!
    Please feel free to do the same with your photographs.

Very well said!!

Decades of shooting slides taught me to crop before shooting. And that means looking around, changing lenses and-or using a zoom lens. Now I change formats or rotate the film back too.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There have been about a 100 of these types of cropping threads.

I generally separate cropping into 2 realms: utility and cheating.

Utility cropping being very light clean up crops along the border to adjust for viewfinder inaccuracy, easel, etc. Usually less than 2%.

Now the other is based on full on cropping meant to recompose an image after the fact. I consider that a crutch, cheating, etc.

Besides the lens doesn't lie - it's usually obvious when an image is cropped - the angle of view and perspective look strange and it's yet another reason not to do it.

Get it right the first time unless you absolutely cannot for other reasons.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    the angle of view and perspective look strange and it's yet another reason not to do it.
    As far as I can tell, there is no geometrical difference between if you crop a picture or if you used a different lens/zoom to achieve the same composition. If it looks funny to you, it must be because you saw the original and so you also have that composition in your head or something.

Of course cropping will change your grain, resolution and sharpness, though.

EDIT: I looked at your sig; lol
    f/22 and be there.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With the focal lengths I use (under 50) you most definitely can see the distorted angle of view from a crop.

I consider it cheating because it's a tactic used to get around lack of commitment at the time the original was shot.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    If your crop is significantly off-center, and you don't tilt the easel to compensate, then you will have a distortion effect similar to using shift or rise on a view camera. I was only talking about central crops that is, trimming off sides or cropping a square to a centered rectangle.
    f/22 and be there.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like others, shooting 35mm slides trained me to look at the complete frame and compose to the edges. I don't hesitate to crop if an image seems to require it. I find myself frustrated every now and then with 4x5 images. They might work fine as a contact print, but if I enlarge them the negative carrier shaves a sliver off each edge and I've no longer got the image I wanted. When I try to compensate while shooting, I always leave too much edge and end up cropping. Not a big deal, but those ones won't work as contact alt prints. sigh....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin