Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,316   Online: 956

Thread: Low Key? Images

Shooter
    Multi Format

Low Key? Images

It seems there's a current preference for darker, less bright prints, for lack of a better description, low key.

Lots of shadow and mid range detail, with most hilights well down the brighness scale. Many of the prints don't even seem to use the full brightness range for specular highlights. Anyone else notice? I'm just getting back into the hobby,,, but it didn't seem to be quite as popular in the 70's, how long has it been going on?

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes I've noticed the same thing. I also am returning after a long absence from the hobby and have been looking at current trends. Not sure why. Matching the current mood in society? Like hem lines on womens' dresses, going up and down depending on the economy?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you're referring to images in the gallery here, I don't think that's basis to assume there's a current trend for lack of highlights.
    It's most likely the result of bad craftsmanship. Not to say there's no quality work in the gallery of course!

Shooter
    35mm
    No, it's not just here. It's nearly everywhere I turn. Just a current trend in dark, moody pictures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    it has been suggested by some that "neo pictorialism" might have something to do with it.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok,,, I don't feel so bad, somebody else has noticed.

Not a bad thing, just seems like by the time I get half way good at something like that it's gone from cool to ho-hum.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Where?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The "dark" technique has a long history in visual art. The word for it, "tenebrism", was first used to refer to sombre paintings. The grand master of the style usually nominated is Caravaggio.

Dark pictures are supposed to convey drama, seriousness, profundity, and worthiness. In some professional anthologies, say the Australian Institute of Professional Photography annual awards, the technique is widely embraced to the point of unconscious self-parody.

Styles come, styles go. Followers always outnumber leaders.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin