Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,606   Online: 1132

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Find your own tripod holes with Street View !

A while ago, discussing the following photo, I was trying to triangulate the position I took it from based on the satellite view of Google Maps.

That was before Street View.

The GoogleCam, being obviously a super-wide angle, gives a rather distinct field of view from the 50mm I used. But what I find interesting is that, even though I'm comparing two images here, I have the intuitive feeling that the Google shot is "reality" whereas my picture is a representation.

Both are representations, utter interpretations, but somehow the Google shot plays on different conventions.

What I found strange, visually compelling:

is also just part of everyday life:

Some people have already started collecting weird grab shots from Street View (muggings in progress, oddities, naked people, etc.), but these pictures only work because they are part of the conventions of street photography/urban landcape.

More Street View coverage in, let's say, the deserted areas, would eventually bring us closer to virtual landscape photography....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture d’écran 2011-04-18 à 10.12.27.jpg   Capture d’écran 2011-04-18 à 10.08.56.jpg   calgarysquare.jpg   calgarytriangle.jpg  
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    I once toyed with this project where I'd set up my camera on a tripod to make a 'proper' B&W photo, then using a P&S with colour film I'd take a few steps back and take a photo of the tripod / camera in situ. This was, I felt, a sort of reality / representation contrast.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well in a way, no matter how you frame a shot, it's all a representation of reality. When taking a photograph you're always leaving something out of the frame and therefore distorting what is really there. Conclusion: all photograph are a lie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronmichael View Post
    Well in a way, no matter how you frame a shot, it's all a representation of reality. When taking a photograph you're always leaving something out of the frame and therefore distorting what is really there. Conclusion: all photograph are a lie
    But, such beautiful lies!
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin