Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,049   Posts: 1,561,085   Online: 763

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I, too, like accidental nudity.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I, too, like accidental nudity.
    nothing like a "costume malfunction" ( JJ )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Walnut Grove, MN USA (Laura Ingall Wilder's home)
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Likes: I like geometric patterns found in everyday objects. I like a representation of surface and texture. I like composition, including form and focus. I like discovering new photographic techniques, paper negatives, cyanotypes, chemical free, pin hole, and the perspective and point of view that some of these processes both produce and allow. I like photgraphy that demonstrates a level of mastery, which is usually way above my own (I like to be impressed). I like the things that photography seems able to present as a unique media (I like knowing that a thing is a photograph, and nothing else can look like it). And I like images where I say, "No kidding, that's a photograph?" I like photographs that take me to places and situations I probably will never go in person. I like photographs that open doors or windows and allow a look inside, or outside (but I don't think it's neccessary to open doors or windows simply to shock or insult). I like the accidents in photography that result in unusual images. I like regular objects rendered as "priceless artifacts" (lavish lighting and set dressing on a water glass). Come to think of it, I like artifacts, old cars, old houses, old barns, old buildings, old towns, old trees, old people. I personally like to document my surroundings, and appreciate others who do the same (I like seeing how people see things). Philosophically, I enjoy the fact that photography is a medium of communication. I like beauty, whatever that might be.
    What I don't like: I've been working my way through the gallery, I can only think of a very small number of photographs where I found my self saying: "I don't like that". In between what I can say I don't like, and what I can say I really like, is great number of images that just missed by an RCH, er change that to eyelash. The trully wonderfull image, and the trully terrible image are not that common. In all the rest there's maybe one or two things to like, and take away with the idea that you, or I, might be able to improve on. Or to avoid...
    "We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one'. We forget that we have still to make a study of 'and'."
    -A. S. Eddington

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yay:
    - good / unusual light
    - subtle (or not) use of mixed flash & natural light (strobist kind of thing) for powerful emphasis
    - dramatic skies, including PITCH F**KING BLACK and/or night landscapes
    - IR
    - photos that make you go "wtf"
    - photos that convey an emotion (this is something I find *really* hard to do)
    - strong use of colour (I'm a sucker for RVP50)
    - good HDR, i.e. using it as a semi-automated dodge/burn tool
    - eyes you can't take your eyes off
    - urbex/decay
    - close/wide perspective, unusual angles
    - fisheye where it doesn't look fishy due to subject form (the close/wide thing again)
    - thisisnthappiness (NSFW warning): there's a lot of good in there amongst the crap, hipsterism and helvetica & batman fetishes

Nay:
    - most street photography (love the concept, don't like 99.9% of what I see)
    - HDR as a substitute for the right light
    - mundane, pointless or uncomposed photos
    - obvious technical incompetence even if masquerading as arty
    - bad cliche nudes: abstract/landscape, skinny girl in a corner, girl-in-the-woods
    - sunsets
    Last edited by polyglot; 05-26-2011 at 07:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My likes and dislikes in photography in general:

-Tonality, Tonality, Tonality!!
    -Prints that make me feel emotion, or squint because of bright sunlight
    -Discovering new and exciting subjects with my cameras
    -Studying subjects and shooting film
    -Pushing Film
    -Toning Prints
    -Viewing negatives with a loupe on the lightbox and drooling over the sharpness
    -Pulling a print from the wash and admiring the beauty

Dislikes:

-HDR
    -Anything over-photo shopped (pretty much everything on the web (flickr, photo.net))
    -Most things digital
    -People that blow up digital shots to 30" x 40" and talk about how much detail there is (when really you can count every single pixel)
    -Digital photographers who say "Ah, I see they still make film"
    -People that talk about gear more than actually shoot
    -When people look at you funny because you're holding your camera up to your eye to shoot a photo
    -Dust, Dust, Dust!!
    -When you're out and about and see an amazing shot or amazing light and don't have a camera
    -Shots of people anywhere below the neck, it's just so overdone in street photography

As you can see there's more dislikes than likes. Not sure what that means... damn digital
    Last edited by brian steinberger; 05-26-2011 at 07:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Unusual street captures... those keeper moments you get only when you are least expecting them!
    Unique expressions/faces.
    Crazy colors (I love toy cameras)!
    Angles (when appropriate... it's hard to explain).
    Off centered subject matter.

Bored of:
    flowers.
    birds.
    crap in the name of street photography (who cares about a dumpster in the alleyway anyway).
    boring poses (once again, it's hard to explain)

Just want to make a note that, some people can make even the flowers and birds and those dumpsters look pretty cool somehow... I've seen them. So in general, I don't really think there's a rule to what is a turn on or what is a turn off... it's all contextual...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Pro
    Art deco
    Industrial
    Abstract
    Surreal
    Cinematic feel
    Lines
    Blur
    Double exposures
    Natural light
    The magic hour (the colors and long shadows)
    B/W
    Slide
    Cross processing slide
    Fast lenses
    Bokeh
    Good metadata (e.g. I shot this photo using Pan-F 35mm, box ASA, 1/60, f 1.4, Xtol 1+1, etc...)

Con
    The flash
    Cookie cutter shots (e.g., a family portrait where all are wearing the same thing or similar and the smiles looked forced/tired or are saying the dreaded 'cheese')

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michel Hardy-Vallée View Post
    What does a Grecian urn?
    I don't know how much he "urns" but he is "ode" money. Thanks for the pun, I love them and consider them a high form of humor. Of course, I also like limericks.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Large Format
    like....

contact prints (small perfect tonality)
    alt prints made with love
    carbon prints of detailed images (relief)
    matt fibre prints
    simpe studio subjects
    street shots (but only when nobody is aware of camera)
    ugly portraits
    ultrawide angle pinhole shots on 8x10 film
    weather rain and wind especially
    squirrel pictures
    sad suicidal pet pics

dislike....

sunsets and sunrise shots
    too much makeup and puffy hair in portraits
    back yard pictures
    heavy handed alt printers
    looking at pics online
    large prints
    bokeh
    white areas ruining picture shape
    flowers
    tree roots and tractor wheels

oh dear , most photography is boring really, the fun is in the making

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin