Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,577   Online: 997

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LENS 2013

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

LENS 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Would it be easier to swallow if you think about it as a $40 membership fee to a museum you might never visit? I've certainly done that a few times.

I noticed their featured artists have more than 5 images, so they'll probably need more work from you if you win.

CV is abbreviation for curriculum vitae, basically your résumé
    Lol, no probably not, I love museums but wouldn't buy a membership ever lol

Good thought though.

Hmm so I've got no résumé then I guess lol all I have are free galleries and coffee shops :/

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Lol, no probably not, I love museums but wouldn't buy a membership ever lol

Good thought though.

Hmm so I've got no resume then I guess lol all I have are free galleries and coffee shops :/

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    Haaaa, it means you are exclusive

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

LENS 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Haaaa, it means you are exclusive
    +1

~Stone

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's great to see the interest and conversation here with regard to the LENS 2013 competition. Our shows have drawn entrants from all around the country, and a number of foreign countries. Last year's exhibition showcased the work of over thirty photographers from the US, Canada, and Mexico. This year our juror is Karen Irvine, curator at the Museum of Contemporary Photography in Chicago. Curators like Karen (and Natasha Egan who curated our first LENS competition two years ago) do not agree to be juror for just any show. Entry fees help pay for the juror, the exhibition, the opening, prize money, advertising, and raise funds to support our non-profit galley and organization. While there are some juried shows out there which are just money grabs, ours is certainly not one of those, and we are becoming a quite prestigious show to be accepted into.
    Please take a look at some of the entries from LENS 2012, http://www.perspectivegallery.org/le...elected-images . Hoping to see some of your images for 2013!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Final day to submit images for LENS2013 is Sunday.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've been in a couple shows a long time ago, and even made the cut once in at the Colorado State Fair's show (yee-haw!) but I will admit that most of these shows' entrance rules left a bad taste in my mouth. I understand bills need to be paid and fees have been a part of the equation forever but, in this case, $200 is all they can come up with for the winner of this "a quite prestigious show"? One juror? You know how many $40 jpegs a person can bang through in a few days? It's no wonder eyebrows are raised at these things. Don't forget, the gallery will probably want 50% of sales in your exclusive exhibition as well.

This is what art co-ops and internet web galleries are for. Once you have sales/recognition/patrons you can go into negotiations with a gallery with some muscle. Without those you'll do as they say; that's the way it's always been.

This having been said, I do hope they have a good turn-out. Hope they look at the prize structure too. After all, who's doing the creating here?

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    I will admit that most of these shows' entrance rules left a bad taste in my mouth. I understand bills need to be paid and fees have been a part of the equation forever but, in this case, $200 is all they can come up with for the winner of this "a quite prestigious show"?
    Most of these "pay to play" shows rub me the wrong way as well. While $40 is not a ton of money, it seems like more and more galleries are playing to the generally low self esteem of creatives with a business model that is based on the artist paying to have the honor of having his or her work hung on the walls, somewhere, anywhere. Some of these juried shows do come off well, but even high caliber judges are influenced by the local politics of "we can sell more landscapes," or, in the case of "Local Photography Group," one or two from each member entry, so as not to hurt anyone's feelings.

In the latter case, which I have witnessed countless times over the last 15 years here in Atlanta, you'll have finely crafted work, expertly framed and presented, hanging alongside drug store color prints tossed into a Wal-Mart frame. It's like a baseball team where everyone gets a trophy. It's condescending, and teaches people that they don't really have to try all that hard to make photographs worthy of display in a "gallery."

So, buyer beware. It's ultimately what you can get out of your investment, although I suspect the viewership of most of these shows is limited by the simple fact of geography.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Notice that in the listing of last year's winners, only one print sold. It's an anodyne collection of academic photography, totally bland, PC, inoffensive and unremarkable.

This year's $200 "featured artist" will need that much money just to cover the shipping. Geez...
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    few! after reading these posts I'm glad I said something and I'm glad I'm not the only one who see's it as basically a scam...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The idea that you're going to be "discovered" just because your work is amazing is pure fantasy. If you want to have a chance of getting into the better galleries, and have professional representation (before you're a "name"), you're going to have to have a CV to send with your portfolio. This CV will need a history of exhibitions and/or competitions.Without a history, they won't be interested. The better galleries are looking to have a relationship with the artist. Part of it is seeing a history of commitment to their art- more than a few years. The better galleries will spend a lot of money promoting their artists. If the gallery participates in something like Art Basel Miami, they can spend more than $10,000 exhibiting just a few artists.

Sales may be rare at the show, but it can lead to other sales. I had 2 pieces hanging in a competition far from me. A couple checked out my website, and bought 3 photos, totally different than what was exhibited. I happened to take first place, too, and got a bit of $.

LENS 2013 is legitimate. It's well know among photographers who do enter competitions. Being accepted looks good on a CV, and would open up the Chicago area to those with no exposure there.

At some point you have to have confidence in your work and aspire to more...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin