Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,952   Posts: 1,586,003   Online: 810

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LENS 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format

LENS 2013

Please follow link for submissions to the 3rd annual LENS competition:
    http://perspectivegallery.org/lens-2013

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

LENS 2013

There's absolutely nothing about what kind of images they are looking for, is there a theme? Is it film only? Or digital as well? B&W or color? This just sounds like they want my $40 entrance fee....

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks like a wide open call. Looking at what was selected in 2012 might offer some clues but if you don't know anything about the juror's taste you may just be making a $40.00 donation. But so it goes with a lot of these annuals.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

LENS 2013

Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    Looks like a wide open call. Looking at what was selected in 2012 might offer some clues but if you don't know anything about the juror's taste you may just be making a $40.00 donation. But so it goes with a lot of these annuals.
    Thanks, open call is kinda obscure to me, blah, I like entering things... Why can the judges pay to judge?

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't pay entry fees. If you want me to exhibit, you can pay me for for the work I have to do to print and frame an image. That's how the world works: workers get paid for their labor, they do not pay for the opportunity to work to benefit someone else with no benefit to them.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

LENS 2013

Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    I don't pay entry fees. If you want me to exhibit, you can pay me for for the work I have to do to print and frame an image. That's how the world works: workers get paid for their labor, they do not pay for the opportunity to work to benefit someone else with no benefit to them.
    Are there many art galleries that pay you for the privilege of hanging your work?

~Stone

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Seems like a good non-profit organization for photographers, may be worth looking into if the fee isn't too steep for you. I imagine the fees go to a good cause. Better than another recent contest where analog was no longer welcome...

"All subject matter and photographic processes are welcome."

There are silver gelatin and tintype images featured as well as digital. They also have some events worth attending.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    I don't know of any legitimate juried competition which doesn't have an entry fee. In addition to an income for the gallery, it pays the prize money, the jurors (if paid), and limits the amount of entries to serious artists. The benefit is being able to add an exhibition to your CV (or, less often some prize money), which is necessary if you ever want to exhibit in the better galleries.
    Be forewarned, though. The entry fee isn't your only non-recouped cost. You'll also have to pay shipping, there and back.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

LENS 2013

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    I don't know of any legitimate juried competition which doesn't have an entry fee. In addition to an income for the gallery, it pays the prize money, the jurors (if paid), and limits the amount of entries to serious artists. The benefit is being able to add an exhibition to your CV (or, less often some prize money), which is necessary if you ever want to exhibit in the better galleries.
    Be forewarned, though. The entry fee isn't your only non-recouped cost. You'll also have to pay shipping, there and back.
    What does CV stand for?

I just wish it were more like an "accepted entrants pay only" thing, so if you didn't make it, it didn't cost you much, and sometimes it's more about what they get, (if they get 5 B&W images of a shadow of a tree, then they only take 1 or its repetitive) than necessarily a comment on your work. So I get the "legit" photographer comment, but some very talented people can't afford to waste $40 entering just one competition. Heck, if you enter just 10 a year like that, it's $400, which is a lot for someone like me, there are some months in the past 3 years where that's what I made in a month.... Granted there were also $3,000 months, but you get the idea.

Anyway, done bitching.

And again CV? And how does that get you into better galleries? Thanks.

~Stone

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Would it be easier to swallow if you think about it as a $40 membership fee to a museum you might never visit? I've certainly done that a few times.

I noticed their featured artists have more than 5 images, so they'll probably need more work from you if you win.

CV is abbreviation for curriculum vitae, basically your résumé

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin