Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,643   Online: 1106

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    For the $50, how many images are you allowed to enter? Most of the legitimate competitions I'm aware of allow 4-5 images for the original fee.
    The one I'm looking at: $35 for up to 3 images. $8 additional. Some required JPGs on CD, etc....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think that's out of line with the norm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Galleries have expenses that they have to cover. I'm entering my photos to this gallery in my town. It cost $35 to enter up to 3 pieces. I've gotten into a few shows at this gallery, but never sold a single piece. But it's a 60/40 split. I see paying the entry fee as supporting my local gallery. This is a community gallery and not for profit.

http://pencegallery.org/call_to_artists.html
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am a member of a photo club. In previous years, we ran a print competition as an adjunct to a photo symposium, which offered a small trade fair and several technical workshops from well known local presenters.

The print competition had a small entry fee for each of up to three prints. The prints were judged by some local experienced judges and there was an opportunity to win both "ribbon" type prizes and some prizes with a small (~$100.00) market value.

Entered prints were also displayed at the symposium and at the open to the public reception that preceded it.

With the exception of the judges and workshop presenters, who each received stipends, all other work was performed by volunteers.

The print entry fees and the workshop fees were enough to defray the expenses of the entire event, plus a very small profit. A whole bunch of photography enthusiasts from around our area got together, and many of them got to share their work with others.

A good time was had by all. So I'd say, don't judge the process merely by the fact that a fee is charged.

Here is a link to the info about the event in 2013: http://www.deltaphotoinspirations.com/Home.html
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree with eddie's comments. There are some scams. But many are reputable. I enter photos as often as possible and have had my work seen--and chosen for exhibition- by some excellent photographers and curators. It really is a matter of doing your homework and determining if that show is right for you. And remember that the organization putting on the show has expenses to pay as well... often the juror is given a stipend (or taken out to a nice dinner at least), advertising, costs associated with hosting a reception, etc. (oops! Looks like others already said this...).

I do stay away from the galleries who just want a hi-res jpeg and will digitally print the entries in-house. If they want my print, it will be one I printed in the darkroom!
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    35mm
    OP...with the world polluted with cell phone pix they would be drowned in photos if there was no fee. Most of us don't do contests. I'd suggest you start a Tumblr or some blog to showcase your work for free. Unless you must try to win contests. Good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmycam View Post
    OP...with the world polluted with cell phone pix they would be drowned in photos if there was no fee. Most of us don't do contests. I'd suggest you start a Tumblr or some blog to showcase your work for free. Unless you must try to win contests. Good luck!
    I'm not a show person. Let them be.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting that only members from N-America participated so far. I do not know such competitions at galleries or similar.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never paid a dime to enter a competitionand never won anything either.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    I've never paid a dime to enter a competitionand never won anything either.
    Haha, anti-social

Well, I'm a member of a large local photo club. The club itself is somehow related (or a partner) to several local galleries. It is also a sponsor to a few other activities, like land preservation, trail association, park district, etc.....

But nevertheless, I do not think I'll be active in the shows or exhibits.... Just too much work and little recognition.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin