Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,221   Online: 869

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Art of photography

Just found an advertising email in my account.

Has anyone made experience with that?

http://www.artofphotographyshow.com/
    Last edited by Dietmar Wolf; 02-16-2008 at 12:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had one image in the 2004 Art of Photography exhibit. They normally get over 9000 entries, so with only one juror your chances are somewhat low of getting into the exhibit. In other words, if you enter, don't feel bad about not getting in. The reception is generally well attended, though actual image/print sales seem a little low. If you find that you think it is an interesting exhibit, then definitely send in an entry or three.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had about 3 or 4 emails this year.

Think about it, they charge you to submit work - $25 for the first image, $10 for the rest. That's a brilliant way to make money.

As Gordon says 9000 entries, at the worst that's probably far more than $100,000, it won't be the potential maximum of $225,000 assuming 9,000 entries again, but it's still a lot nof our money.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So, nothing for me, thanks !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been getting these emails aswell.

If selected, you have to provide your own FRAMED print. A step too far, I think. Especially from one continent to another.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got one e-mail from a Steve Church (or Churchill) about this. I was wondering how many other folks he might have contacted. It's a steep fee, but on the upside, the juror... whose name I forget at the moment, is quite well respected as a curator, and the venue looks great.

I'd probably go for it if I were in southern California, but shipping a framed print across the country seems pricey... and with 9,000 entries the odds of jurying in are slim.

I'm sticking with some local juried shows.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I got one too. Didn't ask for it. Hope it's not the start of a trend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had it in my mail too. Looks like a frameshop found a way to make ends meet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The founder and organizer is actually Steve Churchill. He is a local commercial photographer and video editing professional in San Diego. In addition to Art of Photography, he organizes the Art of Digital show, which includes some quite good animation and video work. I would guess that between those two shows he is quite busy most of the year. Just wanted to clear up the frame shop speculation.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Still, it seems like a steep fee to enter a digital image electronically.
    I do not see anything as to the money funding anything other than the pockets of the people running it.
    -So its not like your are helping to fund a gallery or artists or anything other than shameless self-promotion.
    And worst of all, the first prize is only $1000?? hardly enough to help a starving artist, and no where near the money they make off of it.

Also, look at the long list of sponsors.. they are all funding the show and yet it still requires registration fees.

Too many things about this show just seem wrong to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin