Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,958   Online: 773

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee View Post
    mark me down again this year.

lee\c
    Thanks Lee
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds interesting but brings up some questions.

Have you contacted area lawyers about donating a free legal defense, will writing, real estate escrow handling or other auctioning off of their services?

How about local car dealerships so you can auction off a free engine tune up, overhaul or complete set of tires?

Grocery stores for free shopping sprees?

It may be a good cause but I have reservations just as I do with any group that targets artists. Our efforts are seen as worthy for donating mainly because of the pereption that our time and effort isn't really worth anything and 'it costs nothing' but a couple dollars in materials and brings in bucks at auctions. After all, we should be happen someone... anyone... actually wants the pictures.

How about the hospital auctioning off a free cancer treatment regimen, free cleft palate operation or something else of value that actually takes the time and effort of the health professionals? The Doctors and staff can donate all this and make it really worth while.

Artists are seen as fair game because our efforts are the Rodney Dangerfield of fund raising and we are seen as easy marks. After all, it is "just a pitcher".

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Cancer Event

Quote Originally Posted by WarEaglemtn View Post

Have you contacted area lawyers about donating a free legal defense, will writing, real estate escrow handling or other auctioning off of their services?

How about local car dealerships so you can auction off a free engine tune up, overhaul or complete set of tires?

It may be a good cause but I have reservations just as I do with any group that targets artists. Our efforts are seen as worthy for donating mainly because of the pereption that our time and effort isn't really worth anything and 'it costs nothing' but a couple dollars in materials and brings in bucks at auctions. After all, we should be happen someone... anyone... actually wants the pictures.

How about the hospital auctioning off a free cancer treatment regimen, free cleft palate operation or something else of value that actually takes the time and effort of the health professionals? The Doctors and staff can donate all this and make it really worth while.

Artists are seen as fair game because our efforts are the Rodney Dangerfield of fund raising and we are seen as easy marks. After all, it is "just a pitcher".
    As one of last year's core participants, I can shed some insight to alleviate your concerns. No one here has "targeted" artists for donations. A small group of us approached the hospital with this idea. These types of events have been held in the past in various forms.

All the attendees to a person were highly impressed with the quality of work displayed, and were quite pleased to receive a piece of art to display in their home or office.
    Our group wanted to increase awareness of large format photography as an art form and the cancer center needed to raise funds for research. Both sides came out winners, in my opinion.

Tim
    Last edited by climbabout; 05-06-2008 at 10:17 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add more information

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can concur wholeheartedly with Tim. Everyone came out a winner, no one was taken advantage of like when local PBS stations do their "Art Auctions."

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WarEaglemtn View Post

WOW! Sir, did you actually think before you submitted this post?

Doctors have it made, easy work schedule, always dealing with happy outcomes. Hospitals and Cancer Centers have scores of donations, they have to turn them away they have so many, yet still no cure for Cancer. And there won't be if more people take your stance.

As one of the several Large Format Photographers who dreamt up this "Scheme" and who has also sold tens of thousands of dollars worth of LF photography I never once thought of getting something in return.

What I did get in return was a glorious feeling of having been instrumental in helping human beings I have never met and who are less fortunate than I.

Oh, and one more thing, 150 Large Format images in one show was incredibly inspirational. The new LF friendships many of us made are treasured.

Sir, should you include yourself in the category of an artist than I can only hope there is a mass exodus from your faternity.

Respectfully submitted…
    Last edited by Steve Sherman; 05-06-2008 at 09:10 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: misspelled

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hi Steve,
    Please count me in again this year.
    Gary Samson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, Steve, I thought about what I posted before doing so.

Your over reaction is unwarranted.

A simple explanation of how this came about would suffice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Count me in.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This is a great project. When is the deadline for participation ?

Would it be OK, if we used Your project as inspiration for doing something similar here in denmark ?
    If a man does not keep in step with his fellows it may be because he hears a different drummer... Thoreau

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Falkenberg View Post
    This is a great project. When is the deadline for participation ?

Would it be OK, if we used Your project as inspiration for doing something similar here in denmark ?
    Submission deadline is Sept. 1st. PM me for an address if you can submit.

We would be honored if a similar project raised money for a worthy cause as well as bringing attention to Large Format Photography on a worldwide stage.

Best regards, Steve Sherman

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin