Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,506   Online: 697

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Call for Work: Fraction Magazine

Fraction Magazine Issue 4 Group Show:
    Please read the following guidelines carefully. Deviating from these will make the work ineligible.

The theme for the show is Typologies. The typology has become a major part of the history of photography as well as a major force in contemporary photography. We wanted to see what the current state of the typology is and how current artists are using it.
    The show will include up to 20 artists and each artist will have 3 pieces of work up, a link to their website (if you have one), and contact information.

Here are the rules for submission:

1. Make sure your work actually falls under the category of Typology.

2. Send us three images that are 700 pixels on the longest side.

3. Make sure they are in a jpg format. No PSDs no TIFFs no GIFs.

4. Send them in an email to us at fractionmag@gmail.com Make sure the subject of your email is Group Show. Please include your name, website address (if you have one) and an email address where you can be reached.

5. The deadline for submission is October 10th. We will decide on the final artists by October 15th. Publication of Issue 4 will be in early November.

Good luck and we can't wait to start looking at work.

http://www.fractionmag.com/
    http://fractionmag.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by david b; 09-16-2008 at 05:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Two days to go if you are interested.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    Two days to go if you are interested.
    Can you explain the term Typologies in the context of photography or link to some examples?

Thanks,

Don Bryant
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some good examples to a body of work that is a typology would be Bernd and Hilla Becher's Water Towers, and perhaps August Sander's portraits. Essentially, a study of one thing photographed in several different contexts. In the case of the Becher's they went out of their way to photograph the water towers in similar flat light all over Europe. (Actually... I'm not entirely sure they are all in Europe)

In the case of Sander... he was studying a society of people, and though he wasn't making pictures in quite the same way as the Becher's as their is some variety in how he photographed each sitter, but taken as a whole... it is a study of a "type"

I hope I explained that well... anyone else want to jump in?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Don: how many people have pointed out the resemblance between you and Paul Teutul, Sr? Hmmm...Big Paul losing his temper while trying to focus a view camera...there is a vision!

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    Some good examples to a body of work that is a typology would be Bernd and Hilla Becher's Water Towers,
    Oddly I thought of them when I typed my question. But their work falls into the school or style of New Topographics, which I understand more than Typologies.

Thanks,
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by FirePhoto View Post
    Don: how many people have pointed out the resemblance between you and Paul Teutul, Sr? Hmmm...Big Paul losing his temper while trying to focus a view camera...there is a vision!
    You know Dan people often confuse me with Paul. Better than being confused with Mikey!
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Actually, I don't think the Bechers fall into the New Topographics at all, even though they were part of the show.

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Topography)

But we are looking for that type of work. A series of the same type of subject matter, shot in a similar way.

I grew up one town over from where the Teutuls are. I could tell you lots of stories about them.
    Last edited by david b; 10-08-2008 at 08:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    I grew up one town over from where the Teutuls are. I could tell you lots of stories about them.
    I would love to hear those.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Actually, I don't think the Bechers fall into the New Topographics at all, even though they were part of the show.
    David I suppose that depends on what you read or where you look on the internet as I've seen their work described as both being part of the New Topographics movement and as typologies.

However, I think they regarded their work as as a study of typologies; the intent to show variations of that occurs within a given typology. For example their body of photographs of water towers.

It will be interesting to see the work of your submitters.

BTW, I do enjoy your online mag. I think it has done well so far.
    Don Bryant

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin