Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,548   Online: 1124

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Getting work out into exhibition venues, has sure been costly and we feel it everyday, emotionally and in the pocketbook. I've even resorted to parting with some equipment, i.e., Chamonix.
    However, the opportunity and the current recession were beyond control to keep apart.
    Working within a budget is definitely a good idea, but how much and what venues to try for are individual choices.
    Follow the Light John 8:12
    ~~~PhotoBob

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    There are still economical juried shows out there. In another thread I posted that I had been juried into the 29th annual FAVA, six state photography show in Oberlin, Ohio.
    http://www.favagallery.org/Fava%20gallery.html
    As in the last four years that I have gotten in, the cost was $15 for three entry images that had to be framed and matted. They would provide Plexiglas and clamps if you couldn’t afford frames and glass. I borrowed three from my still running museum show.

There was much thanking of sponsors at the opening. The judge reviewed the six images that were given awards. He offered and gave reviews of any other images in the show, in my case remembering and comparing to the other two images I submitted. I think there is much to be gained by having your work critiqued. Judges may differ, even contradict each other, but I feel I have learned from it.

This is why I at age 69 continue to take university photography classes which require class critique every two weeks and offer portfolio reviews by visiting artists: Lois Conner ‘04; Andrea Modica & (Chip Forelli, ME Photo Workshops) ’05; (Les McLean, Paula Chamlee, Michael Smith APUG Toronto) ’06; Thomas Roma & William E. Williams ’07; Martin Parr, Abelardo Morell ’08; Toby Jurovics ’09.

John Powers

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I should have made my point a little clearer. Given the economic situation, and given that there's a mutual dependency between the artists submitting work and the institutions calling for it, and given that in the best of times artists aren't a rich bunch, shouldn't said institutions lower their fees so we can keep sending out work and not have to sell our equipment in order to afford it?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    One more thing, how about we put together a petition by photographers asking these photo institutions to lower their fees for the duration of the current recession? How many of you would sign off on that? Any idea how I can set it up online? Thanks,

GB
    Last edited by gbenaim; 03-05-2009 at 05:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I think the pictures will show poorly if the institutions can't afford to turn on the lights.

John Powers

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    John,

I want the lights on, just don't see why photographers should bear an unproportionate share of the burden. Aren't there other sources of income, other than up and coming artists? Isn't there something ultimately counterproductive and, honestly, opportunistic in requiring people to pay their way into exhibits, or rather, into being considered even for an exhibit? I think so.

GB
    Last edited by gbenaim; 03-05-2009 at 12:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gbenaim View Post
    John,

I want the lights on, just don't see why photographers should bear an unproportionate share of the burden. Aren't there other sources of income, other than up and coming artists? Isn't there something ultimately counterproductive and, honestly, opportunistic in requiring people to pay their way into exhibits, or rather, into being considered even for an exhibit? I think so.

PS: I've linked this discussion to a related post on my blog, to see if we can get more people interested and involved.

GB
    This is why good research is helpful. Here in Boston, the PRC does a juried show each year. You can submit ten images for $25. I looked at the Spider Awards once, and to submit five images cost closer to $90. Guess where I entered?

There are venues that aren't charging an arm and a leg, and there are some that are charging much more than what it might cost them in administration. PhotoLucida, for example, has an online review process, but it actually works out to be about a $1.25 per review if you jury past the first screening. And that is with a submission of 10 pictures. The reviewers choose one or two photographs, and they publish a monograph. Everyone who participates gets a book. Not a bad deal, in my opinion. Their in person reviews every other year are expensive, but it's for four days of reviews, and a portfolio walk. So, there's a lot there... per dollar.

There do seem to be a lot of these things cropping up, juried shows, portfolio reviews, etc., etc., and some feel like they are praying on young, desperate photographers who want to get their work out, but I think it's up to you to research and work out which venues, portfolio reviews, etc. work with your budget.

Most venues can't operate for free. Neither can most photographers, so you have to find a way to have some income... whether from your photography or not to have the funds to market the work.

Shooter
    35mm
    Speak with your feet. Nothing is louder.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I actually think our collective mouths, websites, blogs, forums, and whatever else are more effective. Silence is in many cases compliance, even if it's in protest.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    PhotoLucida, for example, has an online review process, but it actually works out to be about a $1.25 per review if you jury past the first screening. And that is with a submission of 10 pictures. The reviewers choose one or two photographs, and they publish a monograph. Everyone who participates gets a book. Not a bad deal, in my opinion. Their in person reviews every other year are expensive, but it's for four days of reviews, and a portfolio walk. So, there's a lot there... per dollar.
    Do they have a web site, and if so, what is the URL?
    Charles Hohenstein

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin