Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,324   Online: 1213

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    As someone who has judged a few local photo shows, I heard complaints here about judges who use their own judgements (or preferences) and those who put aside those preferences and judge accord to "rules" of composition, etc. Seems like a judge can't win no matter how s/he bases her/his decisions!

Artists who get accepted into shows -- especially those who win awards -- rarely complain or critize the judge!

Vaughn

PS...Have pity on the poor soul who enters a photo based on the work I do! I am harder on them as I know the most about that type of work! And have pity on the artists of whom I know a lot about their work -- they will be judged based on how well the entered piece excels the work they have done in the past!
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I've been entering my local shows...

because it does seem to make me concentrate on finishing the project. It also does help the local arts association that runs two shows annually.

I've also been submitting work lately to keep silver based processes in the competition. It seems I'm the only throw-back shooting film in the past three shows to which I've submitted work. I make it a point to sling a camera over the shoulder when attending the reception & awards ceremony.

If you're considering giving it a try, I'd encourage you to do so. Just keep in mind that whomever is judging should not sway your own opinion as to the quality of your work. It took me a few shows to get the attitude that the process is sooo subjective it shouldn't affect your own visions and goals.

Jo

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    One reason NOT to is if you find yourself photographing to please judges instead of yourself. Camera club contests are particularly crappy because many subscribe to the subject and compositional "rules" of the P.S.A. ...Evan Clarke
    Good point.

I got into a school comp last year. It wasn't fun, judges just went to their preferences. Specially when you see that a boring boring photo is over your work just because it shows a thing in it that has caught the attention of the judges. But it's worth as much as the "paper" it's printed on.
    And thinking about what you said, yeah, I was shooting for the judges, my bad. Not really for me (even if I liked the results).
    Won't get anymore into there, I'll try to control the feeling that says "go for it!".
    I should forget most of the comps here, all is just digital.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    Maybe it's because I haven't done a lot show submissions, although I am also involved in putting on several general art shows each year, but I'm not convinced that advice is totally reliable. Not to say it's bad, but I have occasionally seen what appeared to be a judge giving short shrift to work similar to his own. Maybe he wanted to avoid accusations of bias, maybe to distance the competition -- who knows?! :rolleyes: I suppose if you can get the opportunity to see previous shows the person has judged, the idea could work, but in my experience many groups try not to repeat judges very often so tracking previous results could be difficult. For my club's open juried art shows we try not to repeat a judge for at least six or seven years. And since we normally have two judges, when we do repeat, we try to pair them with a different person. We hope that's a way to keep things mixed up a bit.

I believe I've seen some indication that judges who are educators -- say art school professors -- may tend to be a bit more diverse in their selections and less anchored to one style. I also like shows juried by more than one person, I think that provides more balance.

DaveT
    I suppose it all depends on the community you're interacting with. My own experience has been primarily with the P.S.A., although I have responded to about a dozen non-P.S.A. calls for entry as well. The judges were other P.S.A. members, or in the other situations, artists of varying experience. The person giving me the advice that I relayed above is a professional artist - that is to say that she has lived solely on her art-derived income for the last 22 years - and all of the shows that she submits work to are judged by other professional artists. That said, I fully recognize that this means nothing more than these are two individual's experiences that may or may not have any relation to how things work in a different area or with different groups. I'm glad that not everyone has had this type of experience.

I seem to go back and forth every couple of years, feeling that it might be interesting to have work shown in contest-type shows from time to time, but my experiences have been enough to leave me with a permanent distaste for the whole process. Honestly speaking, and I'm not trying to be critical in any way of anyone's views here, I get a lot more out of interacting with people viewing work displayed in a group gallery show or by showing prints directly to individuals than I ever got from anything sent to a contest.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by reellis67 View Post
    I seem to go back and forth every couple of years, feeling that it might be interesting to have work shown in contest-type shows from time to time, but my experiences have been enough to leave me with a permanent distaste for the whole process. Honestly speaking, and I'm not trying to be critical in any way of anyone's views here, I get a lot more out of interacting with people viewing work displayed in a group gallery show or by showing prints directly to individuals than I ever got from anything sent to a contest.
    Randy said it better than I did.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin