Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,703   Posts: 1,482,695   Online: 876

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    I'm not sure how photographers are so different from writers but not one writer out of the hundreds who have submitted for their previous publications has been paid, asked for compensation, or complained in any way. If/ when in the future the press makes a profit and can pay the cover artist, I don't think I'll mention it here.

Do those of you who do not pay to subscibe to this forum feel that Sean (apug owner/operator) doesn't need to be comensated for his time/efforts? He can work for free but you wouldn't dream of it?

In case you missed it:
    This is so cute, a fit of pique when you're rejected--how very professional. We're not discussing APUG, pal, just your sustained incomprehension of why people aren't too keen on working for free for a sketchy operation trolling for sucker writers and photographers. Good luck with your business. I doubt anyone here will be hurt if you don't show up again. It's an opportunity we can live without.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Everyone- cool down. I agree that the notion of being asked to work for free, especially for a commercial enterprise, is somewhat galling. That said, there's no call for telling a positive contributor to the site that if he goes away he won't be missed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    This is so cute, a fit of pique when you're rejected--how very professional. We're not discussing APUG, pal, just your sustained incomprehension of why people aren't too keen on working for free for a sketchy operation trolling for sucker writers and photographers. Good luck with your business. I doubt anyone here will be hurt if you don't show up again. It's an opportunity we can live without.
    In many ways APUG is an electonic publication and as such, there are costs involved. , If you (and others) are so bent out of shape about compensation, why don't you get off your wallet and help Sean out by subscribing.

You talk the talk, now let's see if you can walk the walk!
    Let me ask you something. If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?

- Anton Chigurh

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
    In many ways APUG is an electonic publication and as such, there are costs involved. , If you (and others) are so bent out of shape about compensation, why don't you get off your wallet and help Sean out by subscribing.

You talk the talk, now let's see if you can walk the walk!
    That's wide of the point which is: Who needs shills, come-ons and near-spam? Perhaps the original post should have been deleted or the thread closed?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    That's wide of the point which is: Who needs shills, come-ons and near-spam? Perhaps the original post should have been deleted or the thread closed?
    Put the thread on ignore if it bothers you or else leave the site. I am sure that Sean can do without your financial contribution (or lack thereof) to his site.

If you wish to discuss this further, send me a PM.
    Let me ask you something. If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?

- Anton Chigurh

Shooter
    35mm
    Wildbill is a subscriber and longtime contributor to the site. He has proposed an arrangement for those who might wish to submit images for a certain project. If you aren't interested in the terms, you pass it by. If you are interested, submit. It's pretty simple, and doesn't need berating. Some folks pay to enter images in contests etc. and some folks get paid on a regular basis for their images. This falls square in between. I personally don't have any images that I wish to trade for the terms, so I'm taking a pass. It's just business, and I rather doubt it is intended as some sort of insult, so don't take it that way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Wildbill is a subscriber and longtime contributor to the site. He has proposed an arrangement for those who might wish to submit images for a certain project. If you aren't interested in the terms, you pass it by. If you are interested, submit. It's pretty simple, and doesn't need berating. Some folks pay to enter images in contests etc. and some folks get paid on a regular basis for their images. This falls square in between. I personally don't have any images that I wish to trade for the terms, so I'm taking a pass. It's just business, and I rather doubt it is intended as some sort of insult, so don't take it that way.
    Why muddy this conversation with common sense? It was going so well...

Best regards,

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rpsawin View Post
    Why muddy this conversation with common sense? It was going so well...

Best regards,

Bob
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I seem to recall Ilford asking for submissions for images to be used on their new paper boxes, but don't recall compensation being discussed in the form of $$ value.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum242/...mpetition.html

This was greeted with high enthusiasm and nigh said about the lack of payment forthcoming should you win - and Ilford (like the said publisher) will be making money from the winning images.

I guess the difference is in the product maybe? The prices for each item are totally different:
    -
    • Ilford 8x10 Pk 100 GBP29.00 from Silverprint
    • Fast Forward #2 Amazon $12.00

It's your choice to submit or not - berating somebody for their opinion is uncalled for and not in the spirit of APUG.

As a professional photographer it is disappointing to hear requests like this; I make a living from the images I produce, and "free" imagery requests continue to break down the industry.

As a result, the fees both individuals and companies are willing to pay continues to diminish (and often the quality does as well), but for many, the price is *the* most important factor - quality comes a very poor second.

Perhaps the publisher could revise their position and offer to pay the successful candidate based upon RF per one of the big stock sites?

Getty's offer:

28.5 MB
    3870 x 2575 px (12.90 x 8.58 in.) - 300 dpi - RGB
    File size on download 3.93 MB

THB 15,000.00 (or USD$500.00)

Food for thought perhaps?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oz- I think the difference is in the value of the exposure you get from Ilford packaging vs. the book. With the Ilford packaging, the image will receive global distribution, be seen by millions of people, and have an extended life in people's darkrooms. Because it is on the Ilford packaging, it provides a sense (perhaps false) of some kind of "official" recognition of ones' success as a photographer. The book, however, will not have anywhere near the same exposure, nor will it convey the same cachet of being a "master" of black-and-white photography.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin