Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,351   Online: 817

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Call for submissions.........book cover

My wife, Stacy, is doing the design work for a small publishing company that is currently seeking images. I figure there's got to be someone here interested in getting their work on the cover.

Call for submissions:

Fast Forward Press is currently seeking photographs for the cover of our upcoming flash novel "Emily Avenue." We are accepting color and b&w photographs containing a neon café sign of some sort (sign does not have to say café on it), preferably at night. The submission should be a low-quality file (72dpi, maximum width of 650 pixels), but if selected original work must be available at 300dpi in at least a 5"x7" size. Also, please note that the photograph may be cropped to fit cover dimensions.

Payment will be photo credit given inside the book, along with 2 contributor copies. Please see our website (http://fastforwardpress.org/) for our current volumes and information about our press.

Send submissions to: ffpressblog@gmail.com
    Deadline: September 20th, 2010
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's a quote from them:

Fast Forward Press is a small, young press. Seven of us founded the press and
    fund all of the projects, though our goal is to get each project to fund the
    next one. We're not quite there. None of the membersof the press get paid for
    our time and efforts, we continue the press as a learning experience, a labor of
    love, and most of all, to spread the talent of as many writers (and the
    occasional visual artist) as possible.

None of our contributors are rewarded monetarily, though it certainly is a goal
    of ours, and it will indeed be a happy day when we can do so.

For the time being the only reward we can offer is the work itself, credit
    within the book, and the posting of the cover on our website, Amazon, etc.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I should be sympathetic, since I have been in small press publishing, but I always paid my contributors, even if wasn't as much as they could get elsewhere. I never expected anyone besides myself to work for free.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    I should be sympathetic, since I have been in small press publishing, but I always paid my contributors, even if wasn't as much as they could get elsewhere. I never expected anyone besides myself to work for free.
    I was about to post something similar. Not only should one not work for free out of simple self respect, but mainly out of respect for the photographic profession and those in it. It undermines and devalues the work of professional photographers, and makes it even more difficult than it already is to make a living.

An article from Sports Shooter: http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1989
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I see this issue come up, time and again.

My take is to thank wildbill for the notice; thankfully a polite and civil reply was given on the issue of payment for photographers -- the ideal outcome is to educate one and all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys. I didn't realize that all the forum members were pros who only shoot for cash. None of the contributors (writers and artists) have asked for money as of yet, even the well known ones. If you'd like to be a part of it, do so. Otherwise, stick to all the other paid book cover deals you have lined up.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Shooter
    35mm
    IMO, I don't see the problem here folks. I harbor no illusions of my being anything other than an amateur or hobbyist photographer. I may end up trying to shoot something to submit because I think it would be REALLY FRIGGIN' COOL to have a book cover credit to my name.

With all due respect to the other responders, maybe we can lighten up here just a bit. No one's "working for free". Payment has been stated as being cover credit and a pair of contributor copies. While that may not be a lot to some people, to some (like myself), published credit and being able to point to something and say, "I did that." or "I took that photo." may be worth more than anything. At the very least worth more than any monetary or tangible value. In no way does that undermine or devalue the work of ANYONE. Further, simply posting something like this has absolutely nothing to do with self respect or respecting an entire profession. If nothing else this could be an excellent opportunity for a photography student to get a legitimate credit to their name.

That being said, I would advise whomever submits to very carefully read through any and all agreements or contracts before actually submitting their works and etc.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Given the level of snark displayed in the reply, I'd be very wary.

I was sympathetic up to that point.

I can't imagine a whole lot of respect being given to any photographer -- unpaid or not -- if that's the calibre of response.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If everything is as it appears to be, I'm not sure I see the problem.

If I'm reading the argument correctly, it seems to be saying that if my son volunteers to go out and mow the grass, that's a direct and potentially fatal threat to the survival of all of the landscape maintenance companies in our area.

Am I missing something here?

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If I had a suitable image I would offer it. I don't see a problem in having your work in a book with no monetary return. I don't do photography for a living and don't expect to make any money from it.

Equally I don't make my living working as a plumber or carpenter but often do such work on friends houses. I don't see this as de-valuing the plumbing or carpentry professions either.

I would be very happy to see one of my images in a book with nothing more than a credit and perhaps a copy of the book in return.

Steve.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin