Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,903   Posts: 1,555,827   Online: 756

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

to test the concept

please consider swapping your print for mine

i prefer unmounted, 8x10, titled and signed

my image was originally captured on 5x8 FB low contrast Forte paper in a home made simple lens camera

the lens is a magnifying glass of approximately 75mm focal length which gives an extreme wide angle of view on this format

the exposure was 45 seconds @ f64 on FB paper rated at ISO 3

this print is on the same low contrast FB paper

Ray
    Last edited by Ray Heath; 05-21-2008 at 09:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    very nice image

how did you make the print? contact print with paper negative??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    g'day Dark, thnx for your interest

yes, the print was made by contact through a black paper mask to give a white border

the neg was firstly oiled by rubbing baby oil into the back of the paper, this daramatically shortens exposure time, increases contrast and in some cases renders more of the paper texture

Ray

Shooter
    35mm
    It's a very cool photograph and process. Thank you for posting it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    interesting....does the oil seep through to the other side and get onto the print?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkroomExperimente View Post
    interesting....does the oil seep through to the other side and get onto the print?
    hi Dark

no surprisingly

at first i was really careful to protect the emulsion side, and though i used quite a lot of oil the neg still looked patchy, after several tries i've found a little oil rubbed in with a cotton pad, or something like an ink dabber as would be used in print making, and then left alone for perhaps an hour, the oil will spread through the paper fibres and even itself out, any excess can be easily wiped away

the negs are later stored in a plastic A4 sleeve and some that are now 2 years old don't seem to have dried out but they also don't seem to be particularly oily

i think i jagged a good technique

Ray
    Last edited by Ray Heath; 12-17-2007 at 02:05 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: to doesn't have a p in it

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin