Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,551   Posts: 1,573,119   Online: 755

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess you might call me an old school strobist with a rolling pack/dolly. Four battery powered strobes, pack and head or potato mashers made between late 60's and late 80's are my main 'out of the home studio' battery powered flash options. I power them all with a varied collection of gel cels lead acid batteries. If the weather is really cold they may take a while to recycle.

I have a Honeywell Strobonar I might have alive as well; it is currently just starting a potential rehab on my work bench. I could not resist; I bought it at an estate auction for $1, complete with a good pc to pc coiled cord. I could not resist at that price, even if it reamins dead. It is such a cool looking thing, and the earliest North Ameriican mass marketted portable flash.

-Norman 200B; 50/100/200w/s, fires into a 24x36 soft box well with good apertures for MF work. With my 30 x40 soft box the light output gets bit weak, unless you are shooting 35mm with a fast lens. Ability to do bare bulb, which is neat if you are indoors.
    -Braun Hobby 300EF, GN60, iso 100 in m , full or half intensity; fires ok into a softbox; needs a stand to work well with soft box.
    -Metz 60CT1, GN60 iso 10 in m and Mecamat to be able to dial it back to lesser output. OK in 24x36 softbox.
    -Sunpak 522 - really only direct flash, but it dials back ok.

Cactus wireless receivers and two triggers. One for the real camera, and one for the 'digital polaroid' is how I usually use them.

The only one I optically synch is the Braun; it has up to 530V trigger voltage, which so far only a Wein slave has stood up to for more than a few uses.

So it looks like if we could line up a space perhaps we could light different sets and have the model(s) if such a scheme comes together rotate between the different sets, and also have the shooters rotate amonge the different sets.

I have done camera club situations where 'lets all shoot one model simultantously' has been the set up.
    Even with available light shooting conditions (which I am by no means dismissing) I am no fan of such a situation.
    There is no ability to commiunicate effectively with the model in such a setting.
    I think it leaves the model feeling like an animal at the zoo.

I am used to working all sorts of communuty theatre spaces; the challenge is that the planned time frame is when most little threatre groups are actively occupying the space.

Anybody know of a library or community centre with a small room to rent with a reasonable ceiling height?

I have a call in to a beautiful facility my kids take art classes at, at Visual Arts Misissauga out in Missisuaga.
    Wonderful studio spaces, with floor to ceiling north facing windows along one whole wall.
    Now it is a question (of if we qualify as visual artists, I guess), their rates, and space availability.

It is at a nice big wilderness park on the Credit Riiver at Burnhamthorpe called Riverwood.
    So the possibility of a wander on th trails before or after our studio booking is a possibility. Good, free parking.
    A couple of nice old buildings, from when the area was a series of country estates before becoming a park as well.

Thats my plug for an idea. I am most open to others.

I am not dissing downtown UofT. Nice buildinss. The dates we are talking can be pretty unforgiving, though, and I while it is nice to cross pass with others, I don't want to drive to the site, find it too cold/wet/windy, and sit and chew about gear all afternoon.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi again:

Depending on the date, I might be able to get a church basement that we can use (I've used it before; lots of space, some interesting furniture, but no nudes for obvious reasons; I dont know if that matters to anyone). The one advantage that it is located basically within the U of T campus, so that gives more shooting options, and there are plenty of eating/drinking establishments nearby :-)

John
    Nikon 35mm, Mamiya 645 & RB67, Leica IIIb, other bits and pieces

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMeadows View Post
    Hi again:

Depending on the date, I might be able to get a church basement that we can use (I've used it before; lots of space, some interesting furniture, but no nudes for obvious reasons; I dont know if that matters to anyone). The one advantage that it is located basically within the U of T campus, so that gives more shooting options, and there are plenty of eating/drinking establishments nearby :-)

John
    Simpler the better, which makes me think a summer model shoot might be easier for all, especially if it's outdoors.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    New to the site and a Niagara falls shooter I would be in for a possible meet up!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hopefully I'll be around.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm going to put forward that Feb 18th is the meet, is that good with everyone?
    Canadian Correspondent for the Film Photography Podcast
    A bi-monthly podcast for people who love to shoot film!

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Axle View Post
    I'm going to put forward that Feb 18th is the meet, is that good with everyone?
    Works for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Works for me too. thanks
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Im committed to something else that day, but that date - go ahead.

It is time to pick a date and make something happen. With this big a crowd, not everyone will be able to make it.

I hope everyone who gets there has a good time.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Should be good for me

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin