Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,093   Online: 886

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was down in Niagara On The Lake for a wedding back in February so I thought I'd toss out a warning just in case anybody's thinking of staying at the Queen's Landing hotel. They hold a $150/night deposit for incidentals when you check in that they don't mention when you book your room, and it doesn't get refunded (I made sure not to use the wi-fi, ate elsewhere etc. and so had no incidental charges) until you check out...so you need to budget for that if you're planning on staying overnight and at that hotel specifically.

I think I'll take a pass on it since I had enough Niagara On The Lake over that weekend back in February to last me for a while; that town's to rich and pretentious for my blood.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    wtf ? seriously ? So if you order room service or use wifi, does it come off the $150 then ? You don't get refunded the balance ? Very lame if so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by canuhead View Post
    wtf ? seriously ? So if you order room service or use wifi, does it come off the $150 then ? You don't get refunded the balance ? Very lame if so.
    That's pretty much what I was thinking when I checked in and was given a total that was $300 more than I was told when I booked the room. That's when the guy behind the desk explained the $150/night for incidentals to me. If you order room service, use their wi-fi, watch movies in your room, or eat in the hotel's restaurant it's comes out of the $150/night incidental fee. Whatever you don't use is refunded at the end of your stay so I did eventually get my $300 back.

By the way, the hotel's restaurant stops serving breakfast at 11 AM even on weekends, so don't sleep in too late and take a long shower like I did or you'll miss it. I ended up getting a very reasonably priced breakfast at the Red Rooster restaurant away from the main part of Niagara On The Lake instead of eating into that incidental feet at the hotel's restaurant.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm good for June. Is Niagara on the Lake still on the table as a location? The Oakville Camera Club did an outing down there last year and was not a resounding success. You're getting into tourist season and it gets silly busy on the weekends.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So either they've been stiffed enough times or they don't trust tourists not to skip out at the crack of dawn. A cc pre-auth should take care this without the deposit. Still doesn't engender feelings of the warm and fuzzies in my eyes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by canuhead View Post
    So either they've been stiffed enough times or they don't trust tourists not to skip out at the crack of dawn. A cc pre-auth should take care this without the deposit. Still doesn't engender feelings of the warm and fuzzies in my eyes.
    It makes you wonder, doesn't it? The incidental fee was never mentioned in booking the room over the phone and I set the budget for attending the wedding based on what I had been told so I was not happy to discover the extra $300 by surprise when I arrived. If I'd known about it, I'd have budgeted for it since the costs associated with going to the wedding had me nearly maxed out but I was able to fit the $300 in for the couple of days they needed to hold on to it. What really annoyed me was that the place turned around and nickel and dimed at every opportunity.

I guess the place is intended for people wealthy enough that an extra surprise $150/night's no problem and can bill every extra charge they throw at you back to their room without a second thought. As I said in my first post, I've had enough Niagara On The Lake to last me a while because it's too rich for me. I drive a used Honda, wear average clothes, eat at Swiss Chalet, and shoot a Bronica. Since I don't have a luxury car, designer clothes, taste for fine dining, and no Hasselblad, I'd probably be arrested under an anti-vagrancy bylaw or something...

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Now that you've gotten NOTL sorted, what's Plan B for June?

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Any chance we can jump-start this dead thread and sort out a plan for a shoot next month/June/whenever? <<crickets chirping>>

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Despite what was said above I find NOL interesting for street photography, it is always full of people during the spring and summer seasons. I don't intend to stay overnight so I don't care about hotel accomodations or such. We can find a place to have a beer together. I'm open for the second part of June or July if more folks want to join.
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by naeroscatu View Post
    Despite what was said above I find NOL interesting for street photography, it is always full of people during the spring and summer seasons. I don't intend to stay overnight so I don't care about hotel accomodations or such. We can find a place to have a beer together. I'm open for the second part of June or July if more folks want to join.
    No offence intended but NOTL is about the last place I'd like to shoot. For me, it's just a cutesy tourist trap--not a real tourist trap like downtown Niagara Falls which has its charms. If we're up for "street" stuff, I'd rather do Queen/King St., College, Spadina/Kensington, Roncy, the Junction, etc.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin