Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,515   Posts: 1,572,077   Online: 1166

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

Long lasting paper developer fo Nova slot processor

Hello, looking for paper developer for my Nova slot processor. I tried whatever is available at Henrys or Downtown camera (Multigrade, dektol), but those do not last for long.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Darek.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ansco 130. I keep mine in the slot for months at a time. Works fine. I do cover my processor with plastic in addition to the floating tubes to reduce oxidation.

Shooter
    35mm
    Can you specify what is "not long" in your judgement? Until we know your yardstick anything we say may be of no help at all.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    LPD would be the canonical answer. You may or may not like the way it looks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    LPD and Ansco 130 are the long-lived ones. I bought some LPD but haven't tried it yet. I use Ansco 130 regularly and it's amazingly long-lived. You can even keep the working solution for several weeks and use it up to its full print capacity.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thank you guys for your suggestions. Pentaxuser, dektol will be ok in slot for about one day. Ilford multigrade will be ok for about 1 week. I print twice, maybe three times a month, so if the developer is more than two weeks in the slot, it is no good. It looks that for my infrequent print sessions, I will go back to trays and will use dektol, and discard after one time use. With ilford multigrade at 1+9 dilution, I should be ok to store the developer back to amber glass for the future print sessions?
    Also I will try Ansco 130 or Liquidol which I was told it has good keeping property.

Thanks,
    Darek

Shooter
    35mm
    I cannot speak for Dektol but if it is useless after one day in a Nova slot then I am surprised it sells at all. I do have experience of Ilford MG developer and my experience is that it lasts much longer than a week

I take it that you have the tubes that cover the liquid when not using it? These tubes prevent almost all the air getting to the developer. In effect they act like the amber glass you speak of. In fact unless the amber glass is full, the tubes over the slots will protect the developer better.

I print only occasionally as well and while I have never needed to do this, you could try the following: After placing the tubes over the slots, cover them with cling film, ensuring that no air gets to the liquid.

I hope the Ansco and LPD work for you but I cannot help feel that something else is wrong if Ilford developer is no good after the times you state.

The tubes are vital. Can you confirm that you have these and use them?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thank you Pentaxuser for your input, much appreciated! My processor is a basic Nova Monochrome model, with a red cover, which is not really air tide at all. Perhaps that is why my Ilford MG is loosing its power after one week? I love an idea of using Nova processor in my tiny darkroom, but I need to get a better paper developer or new Nova processor with a proper cover. I was thinking of getting a new processor from Nova, but the cost of the unit itself and the shipment to Canada is rather very high... so, searching eBay for a used one
    But for now, I will try different developer (Ansco 130).

Thanks,
    Darek

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you can't seal the processor, then bottling the developer between sessions should work. Doesn't need to be amber glass, just use PETE (softdrink bottles) and squeeze all the air out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In mine, Liquidol lasts long enough to start growing things.
    Moersch Neutral lasts almost as long. That's just using the floating covers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin