Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,926   Posts: 1,556,805   Online: 953

Shooter
    Multi Format

A Nikon F at the ROM

Yesterday afternoon (Sunday, November 2, 2008) I was at the Royal Ontario Museum on Bloor Street in Toronto. (I was in town for a conference and had a day to myself before I came home to Regina.)

While I was there exploring the gift shop I saw someone carrying around a Nikon F. I hadn't seen one in the wild for years!

I said "Nice camera!" and we had a nice, brief conversation about classic cameras. He showed me the bottom of the camera and he had paid a whopping $14.99 for it at Value Village.

Anyway, it was kind of fun to see it. I wish I'd been carrying my F3. (To be honest I left all my camera gear at home - it tends to be a very busy week and I knew I wouldn't be in the mindset or have much spare time for photography.)

On the off chance that the F owner reads this, say hello.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Holy ****! Only $15+tax? That's the cheapest F I've seen... Anyway, hopefully he joins up.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 50/1.4 AI, 80-200/4.5 AI, 85/1.8 K, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yesterday afternoon (Sunday, November 2, 2008) I was at the Royal Ontario Museum on Bloor Street in Toronto. (I was in town for a conference and had a day to myself before I came home to Regina.)

While I was there exploring the gift shop I saw someone carrying around a Nikon F. I hadn't seen one in the wild for years!

I said "Nice camera!" and we had a nice, brief conversation about classic cameras. He showed me the bottom of the camera and he had paid a whopping $14.99 for it at Value Village.

Anyway, it was kind of fun to see it. I wish I'd been carrying my F3. (To be honest I left all my camera gear at home - it tends to be a very busy week and I knew I wouldn't be in the mindset or have much spare time for photography.)

On the off chance that the F owner reads this, say hello.
    Hi Jim, I was the guy carrying the Nikon F at the ROM on Sun Nov 2nd. You know, when you told me you have the same passion I was thinking what are the chances that you may be a member of PN-classic camera where I post most of my findings or APUG. I'm glad to read your post. The thing is I bought the camera a day before we met so I was very anxious to take it out for a spin, still surprised it had no serious issues. I cleaned up the mirror and the prism, replaced the mirror bumper (melted) and that was about all it needed. Even more interesting is that camera came with a 24mm AI lens (unknown brand, very strange name that I don't remember now - I'm at work) in perfect working order. I have not developed the film yet but I promise to keep you posted. Cheers
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Heh. I was hoping you might be a member here but I figured you probably weren't. Small world!

I have to sheepishly admit that this was the first out-of-province trip I'd ever taken without taking a proper camera with me.

We'll definitely have to get together the next time I'm in the GTA.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Great deal on that F! Over the past year, I have had several nice Fs given to me, and one was in mint condition because it apparently was used only to shoot through a microscope. I had to change out the prism screen, as it was the wacky one made for microscopy. Works fine, though.
    Mark O'Brien
    Ann Arbor, MI
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mfobrien/

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon Fs

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    I am often stopped--by working professionals--whenever I am out and about in Ottawa with two of my Nikon Fs. They both have F-36 motors, and cordless battery packs, and the usual comment goes something like, "...I haven't seen those in years..." or, "...I used to own x number of those..." I also met a young woman carrying a Nikon FTn at the Cenotaph on Remembrance Day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great deal on the F, I'll have to check Value Village more often......
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My mint, low serial # F is listed for over $5000. I would never get it, but I never use it out of fear!

Great deal!

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin