Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,741   Online: 908

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you're willing to come out to Burlington I've held darkroom printing workshops in the past.
    You can reach me through the website.
    -Rob
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the response, everyone!
    Mike Wilde gave me a lesson on darkroom printing. I've tried on my own, and my results were so-so, but ok for the first time.
    I plan to post one of my pics shortly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As a casual member of the Hart House Camera Club, I have heard its executive council discuss ways to open the field of membership to people beyond students and faculty at the UofT, starting with at the very least students from nearby universities whose campus lacks a good darkroom (or is too far away from where they live). The last I heard them discuss this, though, was well over 6 months ago.

Considering how underutilised their multiple darkrooms are (at most, I've only been down there when one other person was similarly in another room, the single "digital darkroom" -- oxymoron, ha -- excepted), it's a wonderfully set-up facility with three individual rooms set up for b/w printing and a fourth with a colour enlarger. There's also a colour chemistry processing machine of some kind, but I didn't take out a colour chemistry membership owing to how horribly I'd do with that -- not without mentoring.

A few years ago, they added a multi-person training darkroom for seminar instruction, whose courses I think are open to non-UofT folk. It's still basically a brand-new room but I hardly ever see it in use. The main area has a central sink and everything which one would need to process film without the need of an individual room (a communal dark chamber makes this possible).

It would be great if they found a way to expand membership, because I kinda hoped that by becoming a member, I'd meet more people who are interested in film photography and could be able to share their experiences and tricks they've discovered along the way, and vice-versa. This hasn't really been the case. It could be a great networking tool if only more people were using it (and not the "digital darkroom", which does have its place, but not at the expense of the rest), but at best, I've seen a touch of insularity from the few people who make up the tiny circle of folk who keep the place operational.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to be a student of U of T - I would definitely sign up to their Camera Club if they opened up the membership.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Burlington Art Centre (iroinically in Burlington) also does courses on a regular basis. They have a good sized darkroom there, the equipment is loaned by the Latow Photographer's Guild.

You can find the course program at: http://www.burlingtonartcentre.on.ca/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Gallery 44 in downtown Toronto has occasional classes, but if you join, there are a number of AMAZING shooters there. I found that I learn a huge amount just by asking and listening. There isn't a person there who would not be glad to show you the way around a darkroom. It is quite inexpensive to join and the facilities are really good.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I take it then, that Hart House requires that you be a U of T alumni, student, or faculty to join, correct?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin