Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,718   Online: 1102

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Commercial Camera Repair is gone

I walked past the shop this morning, and it was all shuttered up. There is a note in the window written by his son, Doug, that that Gord McArhur has a surprise stroke and passed away last week.

I never actually needed his services, but it was always nice to know that there was a person still with a store front fixing cameras. And hea lways had such intersting stuff in the windows.

I guess there is still International Camera Repair out on the Queensway, in Etobicoke, but the last time I was in his shop last winter he was trying to sell the business or its inventory, and move his repair work back into his basement. The sad part about selling the inventory, is that it is trying to support the rent, and is accordingly generally overpriced to what is otherwise findable online.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So you are talking about two passing with Commercial Camera Repair.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, just Gord. I never knew if there was more than just him. Stan K, another repair guy in Toronto, without a storefront may have once worked with Gord. I will see who I see at the spring camera fair next weekend and try to figure out what else is known about the operation of Gord's shop.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This is so sad to hear. I've only been to his shop twice but I've been referred to him by every camera shop I've been to in the GTA. He was always helpful and very knowledgeable. It's sad that he passed away, the man could fix any camera you set in front of him.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    By two passings, I meant Gord and Commercial Camera Repair.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a fair number of cameras including my Nikon F and Leica M3 go through Commerical Camera over the years, it's sad to see Commerical Camera go. There is still International Camera but their hours are not that convienent and there is Winball up in North York for those who shoot Nikon.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Medium Format

Gord will be missed

Gord worked on my Nikons and Bronica just a few months before I found out about his death at the spring historical camera show. I was shocked and saddened. In my brief visits at the shop, I was impressed with his humour, his proficiency and his knowledge - which has gone with him..

I remember joking with him to the effect of "what will I do if something happens to you?" and he assured me he would be around for a while yet.

I will be thinking about Gord for a while yet....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just found this. This is sad news indeed. I was in Toronto in mid December and was surprised to find his shop closed. Gord was a good resource for Bronica service or just a good chat. I will miss him.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the tip on Winball, Uncle Bill. I was actually looking for a good Nikon repair shop. Will give it a try.
    About camera repair shops still open, you may also try:
    Camera Repair Canada
    254 Lakeshore Road East
    Mississauga, Ontario
    L5G 1G9
    Canada
    Tel/Fax: (905) 891-6960
    Email:keno@camerarepaircanada.com
    Mr. Keno fixed and CLA-d my OM1 at a very reasonable price last year. Don't email, better call and find out the schedule, he is not available all the time. Cheers
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin