Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,734   Online: 1022

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Anybody want to start a co-op to buy film, paper, chemistry etc. in bulk

Anybody want to start a co-op to buy film, paper, chemistry etc. in bulk? Was thinking of incorporating a company owned by all that would be able to buy materials from manufacturers and pass the cost savings to its members.

We could buy directly from manufacturers instead of buying from US sources. I might be naive but maybe not. I have an incorporation dormant so it might be easy to get the requisite GST/PST numbers etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It would, in theory, be a not bad idea at all. In practice, it would require working out the estimates of sales and how effectively the business would draw away existing business from the regional photo film retailers. You would probably want to make this a nation-wide scope, not just GTA-regional or Ontario-only. I do have experience with two different types of co-operatives (grocery and housing), and there are many kinds of co-operative business models. If you haven't yet, google "seven co-operative principles" and use that as an anchor to envision your business plan, if you so decide to pursue it.

For something like this, the model would probably benefit best from member-owners and non-members being able to buy from the co-op, but only member-owners are able to buy product at lower prices, receive exclusive deals, and if the co-op hosted darkroom courses, then pricing for member-owners would be nominal, and non-members would pay a fairly high rate comparable to other places. Net profit per annum, if there is any, can be paid out to all member-owners proportionate to how much they spent that year relative to all other member-owners.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think it would be a great idea, especially for materials and products that are not available in a certain area. For example, it seems that there are many more papers available in europe than in north america.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here's what I was thinking. I travel a LOT, New York, going to LA this year... I have quite a bit of experience in co-ops and business. I was thinking that we get together and do four to six large orders a year. I am so damn tired of not being able to get stuff, no-one in TO really stocks paper or chemistry anymore and if they do, the prices are crazy. 250 sheets of 11x14 Ilford FB Gloss would cost me close to 500, B&H 248... A bit of a difference. I have a fallow incorporation I can re-start, get the PST, GST numbers, buy direct in bulk and people can pick up from Toronto. I see this as primarily a Toronto-based thing. It's easier in the US since the transport costs are lower. I have a friend in Buffalo whose address I can use for shipping then pick up there. Also I can buy direct from Oriental for example. I'd also like to bulk order Palladium,etc., for alt process stuff, cheaper that way. Right now, I just want to see if there would be a group of people here in Eastern Canada (Ontario and Quebec) who might want to do this. If the numbers of people are good, I'll go for it.

Shooter
    35mm
    It would be a fabulous idea if enough people commited to enough stuff to do the following:

Buy up an entire production run of Kodachrome and Panatomic-X in 35mm AND 120 and 4x5 for the Panatomic-X.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm still very much with you on this idea. I will definitely pitch for this being a Toronto-based installation (e.g., base of walk-in operations) but open (and promoting itself) to online sales throughout the whole country. I will be leaving Toronto in a few weeks and I know that the regionalism inherent on a national level makes coast-to-coast-to-coast scopes difficult, if not discouraged. Same goes for linguistic loggerheads. But were such a co-operative to form and execute, it would be very reassuring that I could go online and order my supplies regardless where I might be. As a former west coaster, there are times when it felt like there might as well have been the economic Himalayans slapped somewhere west of Brandon and east of Swift Current (and Regina was some summit).

As far as places to have walk-in retailing, you would probably need a real estate scout versed in co-operative businesses. While they're an assurance company, you should talk with someone at The Co-Operators, as they have outstanding connections with co-ops of every kind nationally. At the Building Sustainable Co-operatives Future 2007 conference, a Co-Operators representative spoke at a symposium on co-operative business structures and the best way to go about it. The one thing they stressed and I since have taken to heart is embracing the Triple Bottom Line (economic, social, and environmental) approach to running a co-op. Being a proper disposal point for used chemicals, like exhausted developer, could be one way to close that loop in the GTA (e.g., charging a nominal fee to properly dispose of it) and thus meeting an environmental bottom line (as chemical emulsions and solutions tend to be an increasingly problematic sticking point in the film versus digital debate). Social bottom line could be film imaging education, offering or hosting seminars or community education initiatives (like putting a film camera into the hands of teenagers and teaching them about darkroom chemistry).
    Last edited by accozzaglia; 07-02-2009 at 04:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    it would be a great idea
    if it was all used in a reasonable amount
    of time. i know I don't mind shooting expired
    film and paper ( c41 and e6 and b/w ) but i am sure
    there are others who would very much mind if the materials
    they paid money for were close to expired by the time they decided
    they needed to replenish their film/paper ...

back in the days when ilford used to sell to "rebranders"
    photowarehouse used to get master rolls of film and paper, and cut it to order.
    too bad we couldn't strike an arrangement with photowarehouse
    (who is set up to cut paper and film already) to take our money, buy the film/paper
    and hold on to it until we need it
    they are a site sponsor, AND they were gearing up to buying master rolls of film again
    (or at least had suggested they were going to do that ) .. i know, not much help for roll film shooters
    but they also buy 120 + 35mm film in bulk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Why don't we all ask the remaining film photo retailers in our areas what they think of the idea?
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    John, I recognise that Marek's proposal certainly aims to undercut retailers. However, I am not sure if you realize that owing to the smaller size of the Canadian market, prices here are highly inflated as compared to the United States, as Marek mentioned. For example, the Astia 135 x 20 pack at Freestyle is listed at $122. The same thing from Canada's largest photo retailer, Henry's, costs the equivalent of 223 US Dollars - quite a difference, and one that poses a serious difficulty to many analogue photographers up here. Therefore, while I am certainly in favour of supporting those local shops that have chosen to continue supplying us with traditional photography goods, someone along the line needs to realize that the current prices are simply unsustainable, especially given how close (and tempting) the US market is to us.

GJA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    John, i would if i could find one, but they are all gone! As far as I know the closest place for me would be about a two and a half hour drive to Boston or a four hour drive to NYC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin