Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,959   Online: 952

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by accozzaglia View Post
    I would be OK with that. The original idea was to have it more or less be consistent with the other three region-specific groups already created for Canada, which are all labelled by the city. I'll be happy with whatever is chosen, because it will be a great improvement over nothing at all.
    I didn't notice the other Canadian regional forum before, as I'm more looking at the Scandinavian one by those days. I see your point about consistency. Depending on the purpose it should then be the city or the province name, but not both.

Quote Originally Posted by accozzaglia View Post
    The Montréal centralizing in Québec is definitely a distinctly Canadian urbanization phenomenon, as the same kinds of complaints expressed by out-province Ontarians are made of Toronto/GTA/GGHA, and when I lived out west, much of northern and eastern B.C. was showing resentment toward Vancouver for taking so many of the capital budget projects (I left about two years after the 2010 Olympics announcement).
    It's good to know that Québec is not a distinct society on this point

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Heh. I've lived in many places. Societies are more distinct from one another than they'd like to admit. Some are more distinct than others, but I've never, ever found a duplicate society.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK. While we're waiting on a new Québec subforum, I have another question to ask our resident Montréalers: where do the typical haunts for stolen gear turn up -- be it cameras or laptops? Yeah, my messenger bag was ganked from beneath my feet at a certain American coffee establishment. Absolutely incredible, infuriating and for all intents, gone. It's been a shitty week looking for new digs for uni in MTL, but might as well get an idea as to where this kind of stuff typically gets trafficked to. It appears there's a lot along Pie-IX. ::shrug::

Private message me, or just offer your input in general here. Yeah. Cheers.

-A, who still has her bike and kryptonite u-lock, and u-locks double up optimally as great skull-crackers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On the grounds that this is where the Avalanche originated, I vote to bar such a forum from ever existing. It's only right.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 08-06-2009 at 04:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why not one for French Canada in general? Sure, it'll be dominated by Québec, but Ièm sure the francophones in other provinces will appreciate it.

I'm a bilingual anglo-Canadian in Saskatchewan who will no doubt pay at least a little attention to the forum.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This geography tutorial might help the moderators decide how to arrange the Canadian forums: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-ZvAVcBIrQ.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    This geography tutorial might help the moderators decide how to arrange the Canadian forums: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-ZvAVcBIrQ.
    I knew that the water of the great lakes were running low, but I didn't know we lost 2 of them !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Its aboot time the Quebecois had their own thread, eh? Ok, it could be in French and English, eh, or could be separated into one for Quebecois and one for Anglophiles, eh?

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are already some French language forums on APUG:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum14/

but the darn things with us Francophones is that we tend to speak English very well online... So we keep yakking in the Other Tongue.

A while ago I started a Montréal social group, which I'm sad to say did not show much activity lately:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/groups/montr-al.html

Perhaps a Forum would gather more attention, and be useful to anyone travelling to Montréal/Province of Québec. I think it should welcome bilingual discussions, given that both Francos and Anglos are part of the fabric of this city, and of this province as well.

My suggestion would be for a Montréal subforum first. Later, if interest is shown, a broader Province forum would be interesting. Or one for Québec City, depending on interest.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At least the five Kodachrome rolls shot in July with my two now-stolen cameras arrived in the mail from Dwayne's while I was away, and they look great. Alas, one of those cameras was a yard sale find in early July — an Asahi H-2 with a 50mm f/1.4 SMC — and now that too is gone forever. They turned out stunningly well. So now back in Toronto, I'm still furious. I might stalk that Starbucks and wait to see it happen again to someone else so I can go after the pickpocketing bastards and beat them with my U-lock into a citizen's arrest submission. Then I can hand them over to the SPVM and tell them that I did their job that they don't care to do themselves, tabarnac.

This sub-topic request is about photog stuff spatially happening in Montréal/Québec. The point of a geographic forum is to attend to matters of relevance to photogs in this space, irrespective of language. I don't think it makes sense to be talking about things at JJ Lozeau or talk of a new film processing lab on rue Jarry or sslt in a Toronto forum. And no, there is, to my knowledge, no new lab on Jarry, but either way, an Ontarian/Torontian isn't likely going to give a damn about it.

Michel, I saw and contributed to the social group, but the usability for the social groups are designed differently from forums and are wholly separated in hierarchy. Consequently, the social groups tend to get less traffic overall.

Eventually, I'll be less cranky. But I lost three Kodachrome rolls that were awaiting processing, and I can't really re-create those ever again. The least the bastards can do is anonymously drop them off at the hotel where I was staying — they'd know where that would be, given the bag's contents.

/me is still venting

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin