Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,660   Online: 963

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Help is on the way, just give some time to the Admins to work things through on the technical side...
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    accozzaglia,

Sorry to hear your camera bag got pinched. As a long transplanted Montrealer (ok mostly gone native in Greater Toronto), my knowledge on what's going on in the city of my birth is sketchy other than a few Flickr groups. I think they have meet up like the ones in here in the GTA. Good luck with McGill, the move and finding the tool who made off with your cameras.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    You got it. It was a reference to the quebecios separatist movement.

Steve
    Non non! C'est KAY-BEC-Y-OHS!

Kathy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by KWhitmore View Post
    Non non! C'est KAY-BEC-Y-OHS!

Kathy
    That is the way a Canadian girlfriend taught me to say it.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Living in Ottawa is to be in the permanent shadow of Toronto. Not always a bad thing, but Montreal IS a lot closer. i can drive there and back for a smoked meat sandwich without anyone missing me. I would welcome a Montreal group.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    That is the way a Canadian girlfriend taught me to say it.
    I think she's picking on "québecois" versus "québecios". The first is correct. Kathy was telling you how a francophone would pronounce the second.

The correct word sounds approximately like kay-bek-WAH. Add an e on it and you have the feminine, kay-bek-WAHZ, in case you're referring to a woman. Add an s to either for the plural.

Thus endeth the French lesson. Bonne journée.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    I think she's picking on "québecois" versus "québecios". The first is correct. Kathy was telling you how a francophone would pronounce the second.

The correct word sounds approximately like kay-bek-WAH. Add an e on it and you have the feminine, kay-bek-WAHZ, in case you're referring to a woman. Add an s to either for the plural.

Thus endeth the French lesson. Bonne journée.
    Yup.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    So much for the APUG spell checking French in the English forum.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    accozzaglia,

Sorry to hear your camera bag got pinched. As a long transplanted Montrealer (ok mostly gone native in Greater Toronto), my knowledge on what's going on in the city of my birth is sketchy other than a few Flickr groups. I think they have meet up like the ones in here in the GTA. Good luck with McGill, the move and finding the tool who made off with your cameras.
    I appreciate the condolence. It's wasn't my camera bag, but my messenger bag. Not only were cameras inside, but also my work laptop with a year's worth of my thesis notes, my identification, my uni paperwork, and all my other academic work for the last year. The legal/academic papers and laptop were only with me because I didn't trust leaving them at the hotel. So it was a perfect storm of bad — unprecedented for me, as I can't ever remember having all that with me at once when out and about. It's been long enough now that my anger is being superseded by the resolve of rebuilding, infused with a new kind of proprietor vigilance (translation: escalating and shifting an already fairly strong awareness to surroundings by articulating defensible spacing in a new way).

OK, that translation was no more helpful.

Since the theft, a lot has gone through my mind, but perhaps none more so than having listened to five different people recount five separate theft incidents at a "downtown Starbucks" — all but one either confirmed or assumed to be the location where I was, while the other was on the Ste-Catherine location (to those not in MTL, there are a total of two in centreville, or downtown, while the rest are mostly clustered out west in the Anglo ghetto). That, plus the Starbucks supervisor being wholly aware that their security camera had been disconnected for months and didn't seem to care about reconnecting it, makes me really wonder if there isn't something bigger at play here. As an urban designer, it's a new, vexing question I'm trying to ask and approach.

Worse, having learnt a little more about état civil, the distinct system of Québec law, even if I had seen the perp(s) and chased them down, my laying a hand on them, even as they'd have my bag in their hand, could have me apprehended for "assault". In the case of one story in the five aforementioned, this actually happened to one woman who chased after her thief. Both were stopped by police and apprehended. The guy claimed the laptop in the bag was his, but she responded, "OK, explain how my face is on the desktop and why my passwords work?" When her claim panned out, the thief made up an excuse that he "picked up the wrong bag." Apparently, the police didn't arrest him. In another story, the draft of a novel two years in the making, was taken. The novel was never re-written. In all, this system of procedure has left me a bit incredulous.

It won't mar, hopefully, my upcoming experience at McGill, but as I've had a bit more than a week back in Toronto (mostly rebuilding my life and documentation from scratch, literally), my feelings on Montréal are becoming a bit more . . . complicated. I want to be there and hope it'll be a great, redeeming two years, but I worry in a way that I haven't here in Toronto (where yes, my car was once broken into before) or elsewhere. At once, I feel both vulnerable and disallowed to defend myself (unless it's my body under attack, and even then, I don't know to what extent I'm "allowed" to fight back).

As for photography, I am still without a 35mm SLR and will be for a bit longer. My Pentax 645 was home, but one lens (my 75mm, not L.S.) was in the equipment bag inside my messenger bag. After seeing how well the Asahi Pentax H2 w/ 50mm f/1.4 Super-Takumar turned out in low light, I am likely to replace it with the same lens on a similar, pre-Spotmatic body with clip-on meter. I really loved the simplicity and lightness, and the glass just amazed me. As for the stolen Nikon F-801s, I don't know what I'll be doing yet. I just really miss and pine for shooting Kodachrome and have gotten so frustrated when I'm standing somewhere, see a great shot, and then remember that I have nothing on me to capture it.
    Last edited by accozzaglia; 08-16-2009 at 04:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by accozzaglia View Post
    Worse, having learnt a little more about état civil, the distinct system of Québec law, even if I had seen the perp(s) and chased them down, my laying a hand on them, even as they'd have my bag in their hand, could have me apprehended for "assault". In the case of one story in the five aforementioned, this actually happened to one woman who chased after her thief.... At once, I feel both vulnerable and disallowed to defend myself (unless it's my body under attack, and even then, I don't know to what extent I'm "allowed" to fight back).
    As much as Quebec loves feeling separate from the rest of the country, they are still part of Canada for the time being, and so the federal (i.e. common law) criminal code is applicable there; Quebec's civil code does not deal with criminal law. Namely, it seems to me that sec. 494 would allow you to make a citizen's arrest (and presumably use reasonable restraints against a criminal) if you:

a) made the arrest at the time of the theft. Failure to do this is why the guy in Kensington market (?) was charged for tying up a guy who had shoplifted from his store a few weeks ago - the shopkeeper nabbed him hours later when he re-entered the store, and

b) delivered the person to the police asap.

Obligatory disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, and suggest that you conduct your own research into your rights. Remember, the Criminal Code of Canada is the law of the land, including in la belle province.

Sorry to hear about the theft of what sound like some of your most precious belongings. If it's any consolation, I believe that the McGill library rents out laptop locks... Also, if urban planning falls under the faculty of architecture, then I believe that you have access to their darkroom facilities (which few seem to know about), reportedly much better than the one operated by the photo club, and possibly with 24hr. access to boot... good luck!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin