Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,254   Online: 1140

Thread: Olympus Trip 35

Shooter
    Multi Format

Olympus Trip 35

I picked up an Olympus Trip 35 rangefinder w/soft leather case at a yard sale for an amazing price of $1.50! It's in pristine shape but it will need new light seals. Anyone know where I can get these light seals replaced? I'm in the Toronto area.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.olympus-trip.co.uk/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi 'LucyS',

Welcome to APUG. I notice your first post is as an already-paid subscriber. Thanks for your vote of confidence in supporting this site.

Light seals are often a DIY fix that is not terribly difficult if you are handy with small tools - and are so inclined to give it a go. It's one repair that's often worth a try, since if it doesn't work out one can always fall back to having it redone professionally.

One possible online source for the required foam is Micro-Tools.

Ken

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Ken for the warm welcome and the great info.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lucy - Hi from nearby Waterloo. The light seals on the Trip are easy to replace yourself with some lighter fluid and a toothpick or similar piece of wood to remove the gunky old seals, and an X-Acto knife and some patience to replace them. "Interslice" on ebay is a good source of pre-cut light seals for various cameras, although if I recall on my Trips it was just the foam around the door hinge that needed replacing, and you could just cut self adhesive foam (or felt) to size.

Graham

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GM Bennett View Post
    Lucy - Hi from nearby Waterloo. The light seals on the Trip are easy to replace yourself with some lighter fluid and a toothpick or similar piece of wood to remove the gunky old seals, and an X-Acto knife and some patience to replace them. "Interslice" on ebay is a good source of pre-cut light seals for various cameras, although if I recall on my Trips it was just the foam around the door hinge that needed replacing, and you could just cut self adhesive foam (or felt) to size.

Graham
    That's correct. It's only the foam around the door hinge, and even that isn't in bad condition at all. It's just a bit sticky and I want it replaced, just so that no light can get at the film.
    Thanks Graham.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Aki Asahi (www.aki-asahi.com) sells precut light seal sets for your mighty Trip (7$). He sells you one set but delivers three or four (at least he did for me). He's also selling a beautiful new leather for your Trip (8$).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mablo View Post
    Aki Asahi (www.aki-asahi.com) sells precut light seal sets for your mighty Trip (7$). He sells you one set but delivers three or four (at least he did for me). He's also selling a beautiful new leather for your Trip (8$).
    Thank you so, so much! They do in fact have the pre-cut seal set and I just ordered it! Not bad for $10. shipping included!

I googled his name and came up with this website. It even has a Youtube video of how the seals are made.
    http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/trip35/trip35.php

The leather on my Trip is in pristine condition. I really lucked out on this find!

Thanks to everyone for your great help!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin