Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,856   Online: 1139

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

First Annual Toronto Hassey Outing!

OK, it's not an official outing, not even the first or limited to Hasselblad shooters. But it is a good excuse to go out and shoot some film with fellow APUGers. Might be nice to put some faces to the names we come across on the forum here.

Myself and fellow member Mihai are planning to go shoot at Black Creek Pioneer Village this Sunday (Dec 13th). We plan to meet in the parking lot by 11:00 am.
    The admission is $15 but you save $2 if you buy in advance online.

Bringing our Hasselblads out to play for the day. Weather is supposed to be good too. We'll wait in the parking lot for 10-15 minutes before going in. I'm sure it will be easy to recognize the other APUGers - we'll be the ones swinging the metal bricks and light meters around our necks!

Cheers, hope to see you there.

Bharat

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Right on, Bharat. See you there.
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have fun Bharat (and everyone else!)

I used to work at BCPV for a few years -- I certainly have more than a few photos to show for it! If it's not busy don't be afraid to ask the interpreters if you can photograph them working (rather than posing, which is what most visitors seem to prefer us to do). Most of the buildings will have low light levels (although this depends on the time of day) so bring high speed film or be prepared to push if you want to shoot indoors. As a rule tripods and monopods are not allowed inside the buildings (mostly for safety reasons) unless you ask in advance (some photo classes have done this).

And please, whatever you do, don't ask "Is that a real fire?" (because, yes, it is).

Here's yours truly in First House at the spinning wheel. This was shot late in the afternoon, probably around 4 p.m. It was tough to set the camera up, trip the timer, run back to the wheel and get it spinning enough to show movement (while trying to keep extremely still due to the low shutter speed) before the shutter released. Neg scan only.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Me-at-the-wheel_web.jpg  
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mooseontheloose View Post

I used to work at BCPV for a few years -- I certainly have more than a few photos to show for it!

Here's yours truly in First House at the spinning wheel. This was shot late in the afternoon, probably around 4 p.m. It was tough to set the camera up, trip the timer, run back to the wheel and get it spinning enough to show movement (while trying to keep extremely still due to the low shutter speed) before the shutter released. Neg scan only.

Rachelle:

You should post this photo in the following thread:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum47/9...html#post60529

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I used to work at BCPV for a few years -- I certainly have more than a few photos to show for it! If it's not busy don't be afraid to ask the interpreters if you can photograph them working (rather than posing, which is what most visitors seem to prefer us to do). Most of the buildings will have low light levels (although this depends on the time of day) so bring high speed film or be prepared to push if you want to shoot indoors. As a rule tripods and monopods are not allowed inside the buildings (mostly for safety reasons) unless you ask in advance (some photo classes have done this).

And please, whatever you do, don't ask "Is that a real fire?" (because, yes, it is).

Rachelle, thank you for the valuable hints. Never been there before so I was about to call the place to find out if they have any restrictions on picture taking. You addressed my concerns. I love old interiors and it's a pitty we cannot use tripods. Will see how it goes, if we like the place perhaps we can organize better next time and get a permit ahead of time. Cheers
    Mihai Costea

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rachelle, thank you for the valuable hints. Never been there before so I was about to call the place to find out if they have any restrictions on picture taking. You addressed my concerns. I love old interiors and it's a pitty we cannot use tripods. Will see how it goes, if we like the place perhaps we can organize better next time and get a permit ahead of time. Cheers

Like I said, I used to work there but I still asked about the tripods because I wasn't sure! Not that anyone here on APUG would ever do this, but I remember being at Fort Edmonton and seeing a guy put his tripod on an antique table to get a shot! I couldn't believe what I saw! I think if you guys express your desire not to get in the way of the interpreters or visitors they'll be fine with it. In fact, I think you could even bring your tripods without permission for outdoor shots (people do this all the time). I don't know if the policy has changed or not, the worse that could happen is that you would be asked to leave it in the car. There are certainly some buildings that are empty (like the barn) that could yield some interesting shots. That being said, most of the time while I was there I just would place my camera on the counter top or barrier or whatever, set it on self-timer (since I don't normally carry a cable release) and get a shot.

The image below is another example: this is inside the Cabinetmaker's shop. During the school year school groups (that is, one class) comes to the Village for a week and dress in period costume and go to school in the schoolhouse with their teacher and get to do apprenticeships every day (one in the morning, one in the afternoon). So that's what this little girl is doing. Inside the cabinetmaker's shop there's a long wooden barrier that's about waist high with a nice flat ledge. Put my TLR on there, set the timer, got the shot. It could be a little better framed, but it's a lot nicer than if I had tried to handhold it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The-cabinetmaker's-apprenti.jpg  
    Last edited by mooseontheloose; 12-10-2009 at 11:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Rachelle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A few thoughts, while I think of it:

1. If you guys are in a large enough group, you might want to start in different parts of the village. One idea especially, is to start at the end (near the mill and the church) and work your way back into the village. People usually start at the beginning, not the end, so there won't be any people back there if you go early. Also, don't be surprised if a few buildings are closed at the back there -- usually the mill is in winter, but sometimes the others as well if the village is short-staffed since not everyone makes it back there. There's also an alternate path (no buildings) that goes behind the mill back to the start of the village. If you've ever seen Anne of Green Gables, that's where they shot all the winter scenes that took place with sleigh rides. (I've never seen that much snow there though, since the village is closed in Jan/Feb when Toronto is most likely to get that kind of snow).

Another benefit to this is to be able to get a sense of what the light is like is different buildings at different times of day. You could compare notes at the end of the day and then have a better plan should you decide to come back later.

2. One building that always looks great at the end of the day is the old grain barn (near the front of the village, across from the harness maker). If it's sunny you'll get wonderful shafts of light that come through all the old wooden boards and are particularly illuminated by all the dust in the barn. The barn is locked up by the harness maker a little earlier than the village closes, so make sure you go a bit early to have enough time to shoot it (you can't go in usually -- there's often a chain, but you can get good shots just from the entrance). And watch the sun! No sun, no shafts of light.

3. Again, asking the interpreters if you can take their picture is really appreciated. Even though I'm a photographer, I'd get very annoyed when people tried to 'sneak' a shot and would deliberately do something to ruin it. (that's just me though!). Asking people for a photo shows respect, not treating them like a mascot at an amusement park (believe me, this happens. I once had a woman walk up to me and lift up my dress to see what kind of underwear I was wearing! Trust me, other than a few diehards, no one wears period underwear. And even if they did, that's still extremely rude). Anyway, to avoid posing, you could ask them to do something specific (about what they are doing currently, not something you would like to them to do which is out of place) which will probably result in better pictures.

4. Finally, since this is Christmas season there will be a lot of vintage decorations and food to photograph (but don't eat it! Not that Apuggers would, but people have. It's just for show -- full of salt to keep it from spoiling). It's really nice to get all those little details now since the village looks a lot more bland and normal the rest of the year. Actually, in most of the houses people do cook so if they offer you food, don't be afraid to try it. You might ask if any of the baking contains lard though, if it's a concern for you. And just to stick with that subject, all the bread is baked first thing so it's nice to go straight to the Halfway House and watch the cook/baker prepare the bread and get the oven all fired up. It's also the building that's most likely to have several interpreters working in it at the same time. As a side note, if you want any bread, order it early since it usually sells out quickly.

That's all I can think of for now, but if you have any questions, please feel free to ask (BCPV is like a second home to me). Here's a few more photos from the winter of 2005:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bittersweet_2 copy.jpg   Christmas treats_5 copy.jpg   Geese_1_web.jpg   Pomander copy.jpg   Deanna and her puddings copy.jpg  

Last edited by mooseontheloose; 12-11-2009 at 12:17 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add a few more photos
    Rachelle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Rachelle,

Thank you very much for the insight. It's been many many years (Probably school field trips!) since I've been to the village. Amusing first hand story (#3) had a good chuckle on that one. But you're right - some people do get rude. I've always had good luck with asking before shooting - just common courtesy.

I'm hoping it won't be crowded due to the recent weather and being the weekend, but will make the most of it. Appreciate the tips on what and when to shoot. I'll take the tripod and monopod - at worst, they'll will stay in the car if anyone objects. I might also take the P&S for some quick grab shots for reference.

Love your shots - especially the detail shot of the orange and the Cabinet maker's apprentice - great atmosphere and story in that one.

May be a while till we post our shots - have a backlog of film to process over the christmas break.

Cheers, B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I might be along, if it is not as cold as it was today. Would like to meet the man who made 'The Beginning'.
    Considerably AWOL at the present time...

Archive/Blog: http://davidwilliamwhite.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I might be along, if it is not as cold as it was today. Would like to meet the man who made 'The Beginning'.

David, I'm honored. Glad you like it. Look forward to meet you too. Cheers
    Mihai
    Mihai Costea

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin