Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,924   Posts: 1,556,675   Online: 1200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Instant Films

Sodium-Sulfite, polaroid 55, where to find.

Hi everyone, I'm new, APUG is WICKID AWESOME.

introductions aside...

Does anybody know where in the gta I can get my hands on sodium-sulfite to wash polaroid 55, and 665 negatives?

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Hi and welcome.

First of all: if you mention your location, it might be easier to guide you to a shop.....

Secondly: I have used these polaroids for many years, and I have never used sodium-sulfite to wash the negatives....

(I leave the negatives in water for a couple of hours - then I gently wash the developing residue of the negative under running water, using the palm of my hand to clean it with - then I fix in normal fix - wash and dry. I know it is not what the recipie says, but it works like a charm for me - never had any problems with it...)

Again: welcome to APUG from Denmark.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Posted wirelessly..

Welcome to APUG. I had never used it either. Hence I have an unopened bottle. Send me an address and I'll hook you up if you want it.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi there wonderlustking

welcome to apug.

if you have "perma wash" ... it is mostly sodium sulfite
    and you can wash your polaroids in that as well.

( there is a "like-new" polaroid clearing tank
    in the classifieds ... if you don't want to deal with trays )

john

Shooter
    Instant Films
    thanks for the help guys, sorry about the confusion over my location gta= greater Toronto area. I'll definitely check out the classifieds.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any halfway decent chemical supplier should have sodium sulfite. The stuff is a ravenous oxygen scavenger and has lots of industrial and even culinary uses. A weak solution of sodium sulfite can be sprayed on salad bar greens to keep them fresh. Some red wines have a quantity of sulfite as a preservative. I don't think the classifies are the most efficient way to find this stuff, seeing as it is so ubiquitous. Search for a restaurant supply house or chemical supplier in your area and start talking to them.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Go to a pool shop and look for chem out or chlorine remover or something along those lines and read the ingredients, I use 98%+ sulphite from a pool shop no probs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you can't find something locally at a reasonable price and in a useful size try

thechemistrystore.com
    techcheminc.com
    suttonbayspices.com
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    We used to use EK rapid fix in the clearing bucket. Seemed to work just fine.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you're in TO, try Nymoc Products Co. for photo chemistry. Believe they're on McGee St in the Queen E, area. Look 'em up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin