Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,576   Online: 865

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format

Cheap 35mm C-41 D&P in the GTA--What's Left?

Now that Costco now longer processes film anywhere in the GTA, what's left that's not half bad? Several friends I've given 35mm kits to over the past year are jonesing like hell for cheap processing and printing and not finding it. Any leads?

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As I suspected--nothing! So much for GTA film shooters...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Do you guys have shoppers drug there? Here in Vangroovy they do develop and scan for $3.00 I print my own I don't know how much that is but I think it's cheap too.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jpberger View Post
    Do you guys have shoppers drug there? Here in Vangroovy they do develop and scan for $3.00 I print my own I don't know how much that is but I think it's cheap too.

Thanks. Not hereabouts, sadly, as Shoppers ditched film services. During the past 2 years, cheap OK+/- 35mm C-41 processing and printing has utterly dried up around Toronto, reflecting pitiful demand. A few Walmarts maintain 1hr service, so I suspect my friends will find out soon just how bad it is. Suspect they'll pitch their donated Nikons rather than fork over $20 for dev/print on a 24 at a pro lab.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I feel your pain.

Not exactly cheap and cheerful, and I haven't used them personally so caveat emptor, but rather than getting crummy minilab prints, why not rent a darkroom at Toronto image works and make your own prints? Apparently they have a 30" colour paper processor. If you are shooting film these days it's go hardcore or go home as far as I'm concerned.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was reading this thread hoping there'd be an answer.
    I have tried the Super Center which is very reasonable and Walmart which was quite expensive ($8.50 CDN) for a develop and scan. 4 rolls with tax, nearly $40. Quality and resolution of scans are both pretty low. I found the Super Center to be better and cheaper where I live. They'll put all the rolls on one CD so the cost is much lower. I wish mini labs were cleaner and they were alot more careful with film handling.
    I would love to do my own C41 but chemicals seem impossible to find in any sane quantity in Canada.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
    I was reading this thread hoping there'd be an answer.
    I have tried the Super Center which is very reasonable and Walmart which was quite expensive ($8.50 CDN) for a develop and scan. 4 rolls with tax, nearly $40. Quality and resolution of scans are both pretty low. I found the Super Center to be better and cheaper where I live. They'll put all the rolls on one CD so the cost is much lower. I wish mini labs were cleaner and they were alot more careful with film handling.
    I would love to do my own C41 but chemicals seem impossible to find in any sane quantity in Canada.
    Which Loblaws SuperCenter(GTA?)are you using. Loblaws scuttled their instore labs across the western GTA last year--admittedly variable quality but some were consistently good. Walmart is pricey for what I assume is gawdawful quality. My go-to pro labs have either dropped film or boosted prices and slowed service. Aside from looking longingly at the new Nikon D7000 and shelves of Nikkors and bodies, I'm looking to fire-up b&w home development for 120. C-41 remains problematic in either format.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jeff L: Just spoke with the lab maintenance people at Fujifilm.ca this a.m. re: mass extinction of 35mm C-41 d/p service at Costco, Loblaws, etc. Surprisingly, they said Costco and Loblaws are sending all film direct to Fuji for processing--despite claims by these huge retailers that they no longer handle film. If so,this harkens back to the old days when Fuji ran the massive lab that processed all Blacks film business in the GTA. Will check out my nearby Costco and see what's really up with this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    CGW : The Super Center in Georgetown has their machine still. One of the people that run it shoots film.
    I used to use the Costco in Brampton. They would give me decent sized scans and amazing service.
    There are a few mini labs around but most have given me back dirty and/or scratched film.
    I really like Burlington Camera but I don't think they process everyday anymore. It's a far drive too. Same with Brown's in Mississauga. Great but far.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
    CGW : The Super Center in Georgetown has their machine still. One of the people that run it shoots film.
    I used to use the Costco in Brampton. They would give me decent sized scans and amazing service.
    There are a few mini labs around but most have given me back dirty and/or scratched film.
    I really like Burlington Camera but I don't think they process everyday anymore. It's a far drive too. Same with Brown's in Mississauga. Great but far.
    Thanks, Jeff. Georgetown isn't that far. Brampton's Costco crapped out when their processor broke and management refused to fix it. Apparently the Loblaws near Erin Mills Town Centre is still processing film. FYI, Brown's isn't processing film presently but may resume sometime soon once their processors get fixed--hoping this isn't just a face-saving excuse for ditching film since I've happily used them for years. BTW, Fuji.ca's confused(and confusing)claims about film processing proved to be hot air--what are they smoking there??? Sorry! Getting tired of schlepping my 120 to Silvano's. Will pass on anything that turns up.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin