Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,997   Posts: 1,524,293   Online: 869

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format

PHSC "Big One" Oct. 17, 2010. Bring Money!

That time of year again...

http://www.phsc.ca/fairs.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you know what is good for you, limit the money that you bring.

I actually go with a shopping list, and budget to pay what I think it will cost to fill it, and maybe a $100 more for mad impulse purchases.

I was out on a camping trip with my sons Cub group on the weekend and took two different cameras. One of the kids noticed the second one and asked how many I had. I had to think, and said 'oh about 20-30 or so'....
    my real name, imagine that.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    If you know what is good for you, limit the money that you bring.

I actually go with a shopping list, and budget to pay what I think it will cost to fill it, and maybe a $100 more for mad impulse purchases.

I was out on a camping trip with my sons Cub group on the weekend and took two different cameras. One of the kids noticed the second one and asked how many I had. I had to think, and said 'oh about 20-30 or so'....
    I'm surprised there's not a 12-step program in place to deal with this.I've managed to avoid a couple fairs but remain uncertain that amounts to a cure. As they say, you're either in recovery or denial! If anything, I should box up some Nikon stuff to peddle since I shoot so little 35mm these days, thanks to the disappearance of cheap processing. Sooner or later, the "Film Guy" will run out of even moderately stale film--the only reason I go to the PHSC circuses. But now I'm looking into firing up a b&w darkroom...It's hopeless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mike and I went, although I spent most of my time perusing old books and looking at the antique display of french lantern slide and film projectors. I originally went looking for whole plate holders but the only ones there wouldn't be parted from their cameras. I did buy 3 old books (one with nice WHFT calotype plates), and thanks to Mike's keen eye, a box of cardboard 6x6 and 2"x2" 127 superslide mounts that will have me going back through my chromes. Good day for me.
    Considerably AWOL at the present time...

Archive/Blog: http://davidwilliamwhite.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I went a bit overbudget, but had enough coins to still be able to afford a coffee on the way home.

The slide mounts were a nice score, as was a pictrol variable diffuser, and a separatory funnel and small jar of red opaque, and four 6x9 test pattern negs, and a 7.5w lamp for a safelight. All for under $10
    A couple of filters for $7 total
    I bought a superclamp with stud for $20, a manfrotto 029 three way head c/w quick release RC0 and plate for $75, and a 'Keepers of the Light' for $25
    I had a nice day looking things over; it is good to see that a crowd still comes out to the show.

dave and I had a good chat trying to explain an SX-70 to a potential buyer and somewhat uninformed seller, and explain the current film situation.

I discussed with a young lady the modification possibilites that she could make to convert her just 'bought becuse it looked cool' Polaroid J-66 roll film camera into shooting conventional roll film,,like I have done with mine.

I also had a discussion with another lady who had bought an early Agfa box camera finished in blue on how to feed it 120 film using drywall anchor plugs to make the spool long enough to fit the wider spindle mounts in the camera, as I did to a Brownie that also came my way this past summer.

Then Dave stayed by at the house for a while and we gabbed photography.

Mostly around the gear, and vintage images that have landed on me since the last time he was by, which was a very nice time.

It is always kind of wierd for me to talk photography one on one with another, bcause most of my photography is such a singular pursuit with just me involved.

The balance fo the family was out for the afternoon, so I was actually able to stretch out on the couch reading a copy of Mees 'From Dry Plates to Ektachrome', that Dave has bought and graciously loaned to me to read first. I eventually drifted off for a nice refreshing nap before the hoard stirred me, arrived home for dinner.
    my real name, imagine that.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin