Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,036   Online: 934

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Darkroom rentals in Toronto area

I just bought my first medium format film camera (not counting the Brownie I had in the 1970's), and while I am getting what I need to process the film at home, I am not sure I have the space to set up a fullblown darkroom for traditional printing.

Does anyone in the Toronto area have recommendations for traditional wet darkroom rentals, that won't force me to get a 2nd mortgage?

Thanks in advance!

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Toronto Image Works or Gallery 44 for starters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    TIW I think has the cheapest rate at $9/hr. There's other places like gallery44, but you'd have to factor in the memberhip fee. See http://www.torontoimageworks.com/rentals_darkrooms.html.

What'd you get?

P.S. There's a bit of a standard process that avoids wasting time/paper, so sometimes it's good to have someone walk you through your first session.
    Last edited by David William White; 10-31-2010 at 08:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Considerably AWOL at the present time...

Archive/Blog: http://davidwilliamwhite.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the quick responses!

David I got a Mamiya 645J with 80, 55 and 150 lenses. Going out to the Don Valley in the next few minutes to shoot a test roll (starting with a couple of rolls Ilford XP2 so I get get it processed quickly, but my plan is to shoot traditional B/W films and develop neg's myself). Very excited to try this!!

The funny thing is that I don't have a standalone light meter yet (although I have bought a Gossen Luna Pro on ebay, just waiting for it to arrive). Will need to take my DSLR along to use as a light meter. :-)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Interesting, I never thought about a dark room rental. As I am in Toronto, well worth looking into as I have no place in the house for a darkroom setup but would like to get back into the dark room. When I was young, it was almost as much fun as taking the image.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I haven't done darkroom work since the 1980's, so hopefully it will come back, like riding a bicycle :-). I haven't completely given up on the idea of a full darkroom at home, since there is a basement bathroom in our house that no one uses, but it would have to be a set up that could be taken down if need be; a permanent darkroom wouldn't fly with the rest of the family :-(

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sometimes people just need to be told how it's going to be.

On the serious side, might be worthwhile to do a 'tour' of GTA APUG members with darkrooms, just to see how we've all managed.
    Considerably AWOL at the present time...

Archive/Blog: http://davidwilliamwhite.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There isn't that much in the darkroom that needs to be permanent. I suppose if your MF enlarger is really big it could be a pain to move all the time.

I'm also setting up a darkroom for the first time since the early '80s. Hopefully I can do the first test rolls and prints today (probably old negs for printing today as the test rolls will need to dry for a while).

Tough to get some chemicals out here in the 'wilds west of Toronto' though. I could only find Ilfostop bath at Henrys in Cambridge and I bought all 2 bottles so don't try there yourself!
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'll be heading down to Henry's in downtown Toronto tomorrow hopefully to get some Xtol, etc. Hopefully they have something! Downtown camera was actually a bit of a disappointment; all they seemed to have was D-76 ( a classic I know, but I want to try something I don't remember from 1975!)

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMeadows View Post
    I'll be heading down to Henry's in downtown Toronto tomorrow hopefully to get some Xtol, etc. Hopefully they have something! Downtown camera was actually a bit of a disappointment; all they seemed to have was D-76 ( a classic I know, but I want to try something I don't remember from 1975!)
    You might give this crew a call:

http://www.alternativephotography.co...oc-products-co

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin