Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,232   Online: 1067

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format

Silvano's Film Processing--25% Off Nov.15-20

Hopefully they'll refresh the chemistry before I bring in a load of 120!

http://www.silvanoimaging.com/specials.html

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not so sure they bothered refreshing the soup! Was warned about the quality of their processing by the lab that does my proofing and printing but thought I'd take a chance during the discount week. Mistake. Small spots on b&w and C41 negs--not pretty. I know they handle only a trickle of film now but why not wait for sufficient orders to pay for fresh chemistry? No problem with their processing in late summer but I doubt now I'll be going back if this last batch is their benchmark.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had some C41 done there (Silvano's) about a month ago and the every roll was spotless. I was very happy.
    I was going to go to Brown's but couldn't find C41 on there website anymore.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
    I had some C41 done there (Silvano's) about a month ago and the every roll was spotless. I was very happy.
    I was going to go to Brown's but couldn't find C41 on there website anymore.
    Silvano's was fine during the summer and into the fall. This last batch had small spots on several negs, both b&w and C41. Wonder if they'd cheaped out by running stale chemistry during the "sale" week? My film came back in 2 days instead of the 5-7 days turnaround during the summer/fall. Brown's dropped all processing after their move in July, sadly. They warned me that they'd seen a drop in Silvano's quality since many, like me, who'd once used them for processing switched but still brought film back for proofing. They have no reason now to slag Silvano's processing, not that they ever did. Not sure I'm willing to use Silvano's again after this. May switch over to TIW.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All this discussion about local GTA film processing politics makes me feel less crazy for the efforts to process my own c-41 and e-6. If I get screwed up films after processing, I have no one to blame but myself.
    my real name, imagine that.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    All this discussion about local GTA film processing politics makes me feel less crazy for the efforts to process my own c-41 and e-6. If I get screwed up films after processing, I have no one to blame but myself.
    It's less a matter of politics than practicality. Since demand for film services cratered, westend labs either dropped it(Brown's)or limped along(Silvano's)with hit-or-miss quality. I'm gearing up to start home B&W processing. David Nardi here in Mississauga is offering low volume E6 processing that I'll try. For C41, it's TIW.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the lead on Dave. I though he was an only downtown scenester. I guess that just his work keeps him downtown. If you link up with him, ask to see his meduim format 3d transparencies. They will blow your mind. I lucked in to seeing them back when Rob Skeoch still had his studio and drop in get together nights.
    my real name, imagine that.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin