Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,526   Online: 1054

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Grey days are great for shooting. Wish it were happening in my area.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Haha, beautiful blue skies here at the moment. Shot some color and B&W film already today.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley-Ann View Post
    I am. I live in the Brampton area, so I would be up for checking out the abandoned old houses.
    It's actually a good time to scout and shoot these. There's practically no demo activity and most building sites are slow/dormant now around Peel. I see quite a few up Mississauga Rd. and the E/W side roads N. of Hwy 7/Bovaird. There are also a few old graveyards with interesting headstones.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd be more than interested in joining in any meet ups to shoot.
    Canadian Correspondent for the Film Photography Podcast
    A bi-monthly podcast for people who love to shoot film!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it is abandon houses in Brampton, look at Gorewood, opposite Finch, just north of Steeles. There are a couple of abandon houses just north of the 407. Some day Gorewood will be re-routed though these lots to link to the adjacent industrial subdivision road to the west. If venturing into the basements, take care that the ice is thick enough. There was a couple of feet of water in there this past summer. Take a wide angle lens to get great latex paint peeling from the ceilings. Watch out for power; there were still electric meters on the houses earlier this year.

For bridges:
    Further up the same road there is a parking lot for the conservation area. A short walk past its gates there is an old bowstring concrete arch brdge over the Humber River that makes an interesting subject. These were the first type of concrete bridges built in Ontario about 100 years ago.

I am gradually documenting old bridges as I come across them. I have also found another bowstring one across Etobocke Creek at the end of Sherway Dr west of The West Mall in s/w Etobicoke.

There is another old abandon bridge on old 9th Line in Oakville south of Dundas Street. Take the North Service Road and turn onto the 9th line cul de sac, and walk northward on a trail from the south at its end.

Along Dundas Street at almost every watercourse crossing there are the remains of old bridge piers.

In Mississuaga, back to abandon houses there are a pair of old farm lot houses off of Ninth Line, immediately south of the gas compressor station south of Derry. Parking is limited on Ninth, and the driveway barricaded, so it will be a walk in up the laneway. There are remnants of the former renters/owners, but kids have kicked parts of the interiors pretty well apart. Take flash lights and on camera flash if taking images in the basement of the older structure. There were still preserve jars on the shelves, and washer, dryer, deep freezes, and a kids play room intact in the basement, with no flooding in May 2010.
    It may be re-secured; the last time I was there the last boards on the first florr had been kicked off.

Ontario Abandon Places has a reasonable number of sited documented for additional ideas if that is your bent.

I'm busy with kids activities at present but am trying to finalize scheduling a model session in my home studio in February with a pair of young ladies from my wife's place of work who have some creative ideas. I hope this creatve photo project will get me though until the spring flowers are ready to peek though the snow.

I might even turn to advancing half finished home renovations if I get desperate enough!.

Good to still see you here Shelly-Ann. I have not seen much of you online here for a while.
    my real name, imagine that.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the leads, Mike.

So, after snooping around http://www.ontarioabandonedplaces.com/, does anything look good to the westend crew?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're looking for abandoned buildings, look no further...seasoned explorer right here who cut his teeth in photography inside abandonments.

If you're looking for a neat bridge the shoot, I suggest the Hogs Hollow Bridge (401 and Yonge) as it's the oldest freeway bridge in Ontario (First built as part of Hwy 11 in 1929).
    Canadian Correspondent for the Film Photography Podcast
    A bi-monthly podcast for people who love to shoot film!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Old freeway bridges - In the same era is the set of bridges that carry the Queen Elizabeth Way across Etobicoke Creek. The abandon bowstring arch bridge I spoke of just earlier is a remnant of "The Middle Road" that the QEW supplanted. From the underneath the QEW spanning this creek here is a set of at least 5 separate bridges. For fascinating reading if you are a road geek, check out thekingshighway.ca
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is a great little bridge on 27th Side Rd just east of 8th Line here in Halton Hills that is worth checking out. It is completely made of hand laid stone
    Last edited by Obscura26; 01-13-2011 at 04:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Milton/Halton Hills sounds terrific to me, but whatever you guys decide, I'll be there...
    Considerably AWOL at the present time...

Archive/Blog: http://davidwilliamwhite.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin