Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,446   Online: 822

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Has anyone tried Burlington Camera on Guelph St in (obviously) Burlington?
    They still have film (though s little less) and staff that were there during film's best years. They have a decent used section too.
    Worth a stop in if you're in the area.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    At least Henry's still has chems & paper. Fix, Rodinal, paper and so forth. The last time I was in the shop they even had some B&W film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some of Henry's paper is old however. Stuff that doesn't move fast like warmtone (so popular here I don't understand but only occasionally stocked in the Toronto Superstore) and 16x20 is obviously quite old, given that they have the 2009 Ilford commemorative/APUG stuff still in stock! I tried a pack of the 2009 stuff recently and it is already obviously a bit less than fully fresh as compared to stuff I buy from B&H, I have to test strip each on their own unfortunately as the 2-year old stuff has already lost a bit of speed

Agreed, low volume has killed quality in local labs. I used to get same day service up until recently in Guelph (Pond's Fotosource) and then BJ Photo in Waterloo but they ended it in 2009 and it was sadly for the best as the last slides I had processed there came out very badly (not sure how old the Velvia was in the first place either). C-41 locally has gotten bad too, now Pond's only process a few times a week and BJ Photo when they have enough rolls and this is so infrequently that my Tetenal/JOBO home processing is much, much better.

Both Pond's and BJ Photo seem to be surviving well, switching to digital sales and printing. Many of the people who have worked there for 20 years are still there which is nice to see but sadly unless I want to buy expensive backpacks and film, cheap tripods or digital prints I don't have any reason to stop by. In a pinch BJ Photo has some chemicals for the University students, being a closer walk than Henry's so "in season" they have some paper and chems.

Pond's sends E6 to Toronto or did last time I asked but I'm just into printing now so I do everything, developing and printing of B&W and C-41 at home. Of course it is cheaper to buy from B&H than to buy in Canada and in fact the shipping is faster and cheaper too. The only thing I buy in Canada is the Kodak Ektacolor RA RT 10L developer replenisher and blix kits as I can't seem to get it shipped from the US; still mail order though, from DarkroomCentral/PhotoCentral out in Calgary (if they stop carrying it then I'll have to try the more expensive 5L Tetental RA-4 kit which B&H wil ship me). The Canadian distributor prices are just too high, I don't think they get it wholesale here for B&H's retail price.

I think Pond's sends their B&W to a guy to do on his weekends so when he feels like it is when it gets done. BJ Photo lost their B&W basement guy last year.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
    Has anyone tried Burlington Camera on Guelph St in (obviously) Burlington?
    They still have film (though s little less) and staff that were there during film's best years. They have a decent used section too.
    Worth a stop in if you're in the area.

They aren't bad, I do buy my chemicals there if I'm not headed downtown. I do like the fact they have darkroom gear in the basement and they still care about the business.

I still rely on outside labs for my C-41 work (don't shoot slide anymore) and process and print my black and white workflow at home.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    They aren't bad, I do buy my chemicals there if I'm not headed downtown. I do like the fact they have darkroom gear in the basement and they still care about the business.

I still rely on outside labs for my C-41 work (don't shoot slide anymore) and process and print my black and white workflow at home.
    Once Canada Post returns, I've gotta get going on big auction site shopping for some SS tanks and reels for B&W developing. I'll just have to suck it up, though, for C-41 and E6. Think I've shopped at Burlington 2-3 times in the last 10 years. It's not that close and I'm downtown fairly often. Film resources in Mississauga suck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I am starting to get back into my own B&W processing, and a film scanner. I have already started the purchasing process ... though now I regret not keeping all of it (sold it off 10 years ago).

My scanner and tank is delayed due to the strike ... hopefully it will be over soon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Once Canada Post returns, I've gotta get going on big auction site shopping for some SS tanks and reels for B&W developing. I'll just have to suck it up, though, for C-41 and E6. Think I've shopped at Burlington 2-3 times in the last 10 years. It's not that close and I'm downtown fairly often. Film resources in Mississauga suck.
    Once you start processing your own black and white, you won't go back because you will do a better job than the labs usually do.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try Montreal if you want to be even more depressed. There's essentially zero photography here, let alone analog. Not even any half decent galleries. It's probably most dead large North American city for photography.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Toronto is better for galleries/exhibits/general interest in photography.

That said, the analog scene needs some love. What drew me to the Toronto APUG board was the prospect of building a GTA analog community. I'm still hoping we can begin doing that over the summer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, so far GTA wise with APUG functions this sumer I took in the Distillery District walk, and the Hamilton Harbour walk, and enjoyed my time at them.
    Good locations, good weather, a bit of socializing, and not all the time spent talking gear.
    I have some nice images to work on printing up from those outings.

I have processed all my B&W work for 25 years; c-41 and RA-4 and E-6 have been home processed for the last 5-6 years.
    JD Photochem's closing will ultimately crimp my style, since the Formulary can't ship some of the DIY chems.
    I may feel the need to visit a pal who now lives in Idaho just for a US shipping address for a few weeks close to them.

I order Kodak colour chemistry from Unisource and pickup from a warehouse here in Mississauga. This was discused in a thread here about 6 months ago.
    my real name, imagine that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin