Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,483   Online: 850

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Eight Elm Closing in September

http://eightelmphoto.com/

Pity none of the employees wanted to continue the business.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah, I haven't seen Mike in years (I think about 20 now) ... ah the legacy of the Yonge St. camera stores is coming to an end.

I remember when we had many stores within that block (I always though Jerry's was the best place).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm, I just realized they moved to the store. When did it move from Elm St ?

Ok, I really have not been downtown in a while.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hate to see old photo camera shops close.

Jeff

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dxqcanada View Post
    Hmm, I just realized they moved to the store. When did it move from Elm St ?

Ok, I really have not been downtown in a while.
    Guess that's why they're folding...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm, I should go downtown more often to keep the camera stores open ... hmm.

Toronto Camera
    Japan Camera
    Elm St. Camera
    Aden Camera
    Jerry's Camera

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For film shooters, the local stores are becoming less and less important, alas. The less they stock, the more we tend to order by mail. The more we tend to order by mail, the less they stock. Except for heavy liquid chemicals, there is little need to use a local shop for film photography anymore.

I brought a few too few rolls of Velvia to Nova Scotia this week. I popped into a Henry's (a well known Canadian chain with a large store in Toronto and smaller stores everywhere else) and was told that I could order some from Simon's Camera in Montreal, because Henry's didn't stock slide film at any of its locations anymore. I'd be disappointed if it were true that the flagship store had taken that attitude, too, but that's indicative of the market these days. (I ended up finding three rolls of Sensia at a local competitor down the street, at a high price but at least they had it.)

I'm feeling slightly discouraged by this but the reality is that I haven't been in my local store back home, which stopped processing E6 film last fall, in a year. I used to have reason to go to get my E6 stuff done and now I pop it in an envelope to Toronto instead. It's kind of amazing how much money I used to put into local stores and how the shift in the market has meant that I now pump all that money into the Internet mail order establishment instead. (In fact, I pump more now than I did then, but almost none of it is spent locally. The only thing I do locally now is get C41 film processed. Sad.)
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What drives me nuts, there is a market for looking after the analogue market in Canada, it's just Henry's and Vistek just don't care to serve that market.

I do think a Blue Moon Camera like store could survive nicely in Toronto and do a tidy mail order business. Eight Elm's Achilles heel was the out of the way location being steps away from University on Elm St. and not raising awareness amongst the local photography community. An active FB presence like Glass Key Photo out of SF does would go a long way to build a following and in turn regular customers.
    Last edited by Uncle Bill; 06-24-2011 at 08:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually they do care ... at least Henry's.
    I know that they provide analog process services using there outlab (I personally know the lab).
    The problem that I have heard is the volume is very low ... example, they do not get enough E-6 to keep the machine continuously running so keeping chemistry balanced becomes a chore ... other analog services are very low in volume.

These larger labs require volume to keep their machines running properly and also to maintain a profitable company ... and that is not happening so there is only one choice for them if they cannot be profitable.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Never got that much love back from Henry's aside from a few long-time employees who either quit or got canned over the past couple of years. Business appears down and their relocated outlet in Mississauga is even more dismal than the old spot on Queen.

After Brown's in Mississauga dropped processing last summer, I now have to schlep my 120 to either Silvano or TIW. Silvano's QC is spotty--literally--with occasionally cruddy b&W and so-so C41 negs the result of up to a week's wait for processing. Haven't used TIW recently but will if they hold to their "in by 11 out by 3" processing service. David Nardi gave up on his "garage" E6 biz due to Kodak's discontinuation of small batch E6 chemistry and, I suspect, poor response. Have a bunch of E100GX in 120 I'd love to shoot up.

Cheap 35mm dev/print has mostly vanished except for a few sloppily-run Loblaws Fuji-equipped labs in the westend GTA.

I'm not certain there will be much left, lab-wise, by next year. Low volume is killing quality.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin