Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,935   Posts: 1,585,618   Online: 737

Shooter
    35mm

Washing Ilford MGIV RC PEARL

I have never experienced delamination with Ilford RC the paper the 3 years I have been using them. However, I read somewhere (don't remember where) that it is not recommended to keep RC paper wet time longer than 15 minutes or so. The question is, what is the proper "workflow" when using RC paper, especially when it comes to washing?

Currently, I do not wash RC paper individually; I wait until the end of the printing session (I use a public darkroom) and wash all of my prints at the same time for 5 minutes. This means my prints may be in the water holding tray for about 2 hours, sometimes longer! Like I said, never had a problem but I sometimes see very small edge delamination. To follow the correct procedure, should I be washing an RC print as soon as it comes out of the fixer, i.e., individually for 5 minutes at a time?

----Pat

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For RC paper I have a home made washer, simply a cat litter try with some wood in the bottom to prevent the paper sticking to the bottom, and lots of holes in the bottom, which I have used for the last 15 years or so, and when I have finished 2 prints I wash them for five minutes, then squgee them and hang them to dry,
    Richard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The 15 minute max wet time is in the MG4 RC technical information sheet from Ilford. I was my prints individually for 2-3 minutes under fresh running water (using the shower attachment on the bath!).

Shooter
    35mm
    On a B&W nightschool course I and the other 20 students did exactly as you do. We all used Ilford paper and none of us experienced any delamination issues. No, two hours is not ideal and if you can shorten the time then do so but unless we were all very lucky I'd be inclined to conclude that no harm may come from your current practice. Ilford paper is incredibly tough and well made

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you all for the responses. I will start washing individually, i.e., as soon as the print comes out of the fixer, to minimize wet time.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin