Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,587   Online: 810

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

MASSIVE SUDDEN Ilford price jump in Japan

A bit of shock reverberating through the black-and-white film community here in Japan as the cost of bulk 100 ft. rolls of Ilford films have DOUBLED across the board (from around $45 US for a bulk roll of HP5+ up to like $90)!!! Has anyone noticed or heard anything consummate with this in their area??? WHAT GIVES ILFORD?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ilford hike.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	141.1 KB 
ID:	73822

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think you should be grateful they held their prices so low for so long.
    In the UK, a 30m bulk roll of HP5+ is well over 90USD before shipping ... I expect they were losing money hand over fist in Japan at 45USD

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Currency fluctuations would explain some of the difference--though according to that chart it looks like bulk rolls got a much bigger increase percentage-wise than single rolls or even sheets. So there has to be some other factor affecting that format specifically.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just over £28 for a 100ft roll. I might be wrong but I believe this was the price in the U.K. when Prime Minister Lloyd George declared the First World War Armistice . OK a slight exaggeration, it was probably closer to 1920 than 1918

How on earth did it remain at that price in Japan until a few days ago? If $45USD represented a profit for Ilford then when was this stuffed shipped out?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    54.90 at Adorama, NYC now.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    Here we go again. Prices range in the U.K. from $87 to $110 Most are in the $90 -$95 range. The best I can find is in fact Harman Express itself which charges only $3 less than the OP will be paying for stuff that has to be transported 1000s of miles and into a market where I'd imagine Harman film volumes to be low even in comparison to the U.K. market so volume sales in Japan can't explain it

So, OP, I think you can take a lot of comfort out of this despite the price rise. What we in the U.K. have to take out of this I will leave to each U.K APUGer who buys HP5+ bulk rolls.

I really ought to stop reading any post which deals with prices in various markets. It only depresses me

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm RF
    and it is free shipping to US 48 states, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Here we go again. Prices range in the U.K. from $87 to $110 Most are in the $90 -$95 range. The best I can find is in fact Harman Express itself which charges only $3 less than the OP will be paying for stuff that has to be transported 1000s of miles and into a market where I'd imagine Harman film volumes to be low even in comparison to the U.K. market so volume sales in Japan can't explain it

So, OP, I think you can take a lot of comfort out of this despite the price rise. What we in the U.K. have to take out of this I will leave to each U.K APUGer who buys HP5+ bulk rolls.

I really ought to stop reading any post which deals with prices in various markets. It only depresses me

pentaxuser
    I don't mean to gloat, I hope it didn't seem that way, I don't know what controls the range of pricing, obviously the world isn't flat no matter what's said.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yeah, Kodak recently jacked up the price of bulk rolls by like 50% too; I suspect some sort of collusion with Ilford over this as both hikes happened within weeks of each other and now bulk rolls of both companies' products are comparably priced. Funny how Kodak's film division is now run by a British trustee on behalf of Kodak's British employee retirement fund. I smell a rat.

On top of this, this hike came down with absolutely no advance warning, which even the notoriously secretive Fujifilm is capable of giving. We had one day on this. Good way to lose whatever loyal customers you do have in one of the few strong film cultures left on earth.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by nevsky187 View Post
    Yeah, Kodak recently jacked up the price of bulk rolls by like 50% too; I suspect some sort of collusion with Ilford over this as both hikes happened within weeks of each other and now bulk rolls of both companies' products are comparably priced. Funny how Kodak's film division is now run by a British trustee on behalf of Kodak's British employee retirement fund. I smell a rat.

On top of this, this hike came down with absolutely no advance warning, which even the notoriously secretive Fujifilm is capable of giving. We had one day on this. Good way to lose whatever loyal customers you do have in one of the few strong film cultures left on earth.
    I think any alleged conspiracy between Harman and Kodak is fanciful - dare I say a theory. There are many strongholds of film users throughout the world and most of them except perhaps the USA feel ripped by Ilford pricing. There may well be British members here on APUG who can look out their window and see the factory yet have to pay more than the products are sold for over the counter in US camera shops. How do you reckon they feel? OzJohn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin