Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,920   Online: 868

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Wavy scratches on base side of Ilford HP5+ 120

I developed a roll of 120 HP5+ only to see, to my horror, a number of small, wavy scratches on the base side of the film. As this is the side of the film which is protected by the backing paper, it's clearly not the camera. Also, I shot different brands of film before and after this roll; no scratches on those. I've seen references to this on other forums and in other forum posts here. This is clearly Ilford's problem. They are NOT drying marks. What the heck, Ilford?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Have you used a squeegee or maybe your fingers to squeegee the film before hanging it up to dry?

RR

Shooter
    35mm
    Again, this is not a drying issue. I did not squeegee the film. If I had, the scratches would have been straight lines, and not very regular scratches in ascending and descending waves of exactly the same radius across the entire length of the film. They are too regular to have been made in any way but as part of a mechanical process of some kind. Another user of the same film noticed the same issue and reported it here, and Ilford denied that it was a manufacturing issue in that case, but it MUST BE a manufacturing issue.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by nevsky187 View Post
    Ilford denied that it was a manufacturing issue in that case, but it MUST BE a manufacturing issue.
    The film is handled by the user during loading into the tank reel, so I don't think it's necessarily a manufacturing issue ? I've scratched film myself when I first started to process my own, particularly when struggling with stainless steel reels! Still have the very occasional film which gives trouble, for no apparent reason.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    The film is handled by the user during loading into the tank reel, so I don't think it's necessarily a manufacturing issue ?
    But can you imagine a user's fault to produce a regular pattern as described?

Shooter
    35mm
    This is the exact same issue, same scratches, being reported across Ilford's entire product line as of about a month ago:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ent-scratches)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    But can you imagine a user's fault to produce a regular pattern as described?
    Possibly, if the film were removed from the backing paper and somehow pulled tightly in a roll, or rubbed over the edge of a rough surface during loading onto the spiral. Or even when removing from the spiral after processing. I have had very similar "user faults" when I first tried to process my own films many years ago.

It is often possible to see tiny scratches on any smooth or polished surface by reflected light which otherwise give no problems (e.g. cleaning scratches on lens surfaces which have no effect on transmitted light). I have handling scratches on quite a few of my older negatives, even after I'd realised the need for more care. Particularly when I used to store films in a roll.

Not suggesting that it is the OP's fault, but it seems harsh to find the manufacturer guilty without giving them the chance to examine the evidence.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nevsky187 View Post
    This is the exact same issue, same scratches, being reported across Ilford's entire product line as of about a month ago:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ent-scratches)
    And according to that thread, they don't show up in either prints or scans.

But I've absolutely no doubt that Ilford/Harman want to know about this, so I would strongly suggest you contact them directly. I suggest you PM Simon R. Galley here on APUG - he will be glad you did.

Sometimes he takes a day or so to get back to people, but he always does.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was the guy who posted about it on the large format forum. I have since bought other packs of film and have not had the same wavy lines.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I assume Ilford Photo meanwhile got to see that films.

Is there any update on this matter?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin