Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,155   Online: 796

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A sticky situation

I've just encountered a problem with loading 4x5 film I haven't had before. I use Delta 100 and this box of film I got from B&H sticks together. At first I didn't notice it but it became apparent with each sheet that it was actually two sheets.

Is this a problem of local atmospheric conditions or something else ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had that same issue with that film. Could be static or moisture issue, IDK but I haven't loaded any in a while because of it.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rick;
    Did this happen with more than 1 box?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had that before, but can't remember which film (I do shoot Delta 100 so it could have been).

At the time I just put it down to not having enough time out of the freezer to thaw out properly, and/or a bit of frozen condensation from the last time (since then I only freeze films when I get them, once it's out and the bag's open I keep it in the fridge). Ilford I know don't come in a hermetically sealed bag from the factory (like Velvia does), but I'll still freeze it from new.
    Were any of yours frozen at any time?
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't loaded any more from that box since having the issue, maybe April or early May this year. I thought it was just my problem. I did have the box stored in my freezer for a year or so before use. I let the box warm up for about a week before opening. I pulled a box of Arista EDU 100 out of the freezer and opened it after a couple of hours with no problems. I suppose I could try loading some more Delta over the weekend, I'll have to shoot some film first, all my holders are loaded with Arista 100 and Ilford HP-5+. I could unload a couple holders and try some.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never frozen film. I prefer to buy fresh and load as I need. A box usually lasts a few weeks to a month so the turn over I think is pretty good. Please don't upset your routine, I don't think the problem has to do with freezing film but I don't know what it would be. If it's an isolated box I can live with that but if it continues I'll consider alternate films.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Bruce,

Firstly, I am sorry you have experienced an issue with an ILFORD Photo product.

I have checked and we have no QC complaints outstanding against any sheet film product exhibiting difficulty in sheet separation.

The obvious answer is moisture, although if the sheets were stuck together I would expect physical evidence and or damage, did it exhibit it ?

Its impossible to see how moisture could come into contact during packing, most likely after opening if you wish to return the sheets we will be happy to check them out.

Another possibility is static charge, but we have static discharge points ( earthing stations ) during manufacture.

Finally vacuam, its possible that two sheets can become 'attached' to each other, but they would be easy to detach from each otehr and would not 'stick' together.

SIMON : ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Simon, I have experienced the same problem, but no evidence of damage caused from it. I am going to pull my box back out of storage and try loading some again to see if it is random or the entire box is affected. The film that I did have the issue with, once detected that that was what was happening, came away from each other without problems or defects.It was odd, trying to load what felt like one sheet, but difficult to load until I figured out what was happening. It only meant I had to handle the film rougher than I feel comfortable doing. In a blacked out room, not a pleasure.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Dear Bruce,

Firstly, I am sorry you have experienced an issue with an ILFORD Photo product.

I have checked and we have no QC complaints outstanding against any sheet film product exhibiting difficulty in sheet separation.

The obvious answer is moisture, although if the sheets were stuck together I would expect physical evidence and or damage, did it exhibit it ?

Its impossible to see how moisture could come into contact during packing, most likely after opening if you wish to return the sheets we will be happy to check them out.

Another possibility is static charge, but we have static discharge points ( earthing stations ) during manufacture.

Finally vacuam, its possible that two sheets can become 'attached' to each other, but they would be easy to detach from each otehr and would not 'stick' together.

SIMON : ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited.
    -------------------

Thank you Simon for the response. What I have highlighted seems to be the most accurate description of my problem. My use of the word "stick" may have been a tad over stated but seems accurate to me, but I can appreciate attached.

In the dark when loading holders and the sense of touch indicates there is more than one sheet here it is easy enough to separate them. It is only a problem when unloading the film from the holder and discovering two sheets on one side.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This happened to me once, the sheets stuck together and the emulsion was ripped off when I separated them. Turned out it was caused by moisture, I was dumb enough to store them in the laundry room...
    "Art is is a picture of some dude I never met smoking under a lamppost at 6400 ISO and in BW."

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin